Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Automatic initialization list in constructor.

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
drzoom Posted - Dec 14 2006 : 08:24:26 AM
Preface: While I start implementing the constructor of a class, at the point I typed "Foo::Foo() : " I use to write the initialization list with all superclass constructors and all member variables.

Topic: There should be a suggestion to automatically create the whole initialization list. When I select this suggestion which could be called "Create initialization list" I get e.g. this result:

Header:

class Bar {};
class Foo {
public:
Foo( int apple, int banana );
private:
int m_apple;
int m_banana;
double m_cinnamon;
};

I start at this point (| = cursor):

Foo::Foo( int apple, int banana )
 : | 

The suggestion box appears and I select "Create initialization list". Now I have this situation:

Foo::Foo( int apple, int banana )
 : Bar(), m_apple( apple ), m_banana( banana ), m_cinnamon( 0.0 /* TODO: */ )
{
  |
}

Your objections:
  • Not every initialization is necessary. (I think: you can remove the not necessary member initializations afterwards)
  • Providing a default value while initializing the members is dangerous. (I think: That's true, instead only a comment or other placeholder could written at such places.)

1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 14 2006 : 09:55:16 AM
I like this idea, but I am concerned about some types. For example what about references?

This is actually fairly similar to the idea discussed here:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5713

and might respond to a very similar solution. The big question is going to be, what to use as the default initialisation value. It is *possible* this could be set via an autotext entry.

On a related front, it is unlikely that VA could reliably match the parameters to the member variables. If people follow a fixed naming convention that we lay down then it could work, but that is never going to happen

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000