Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Inline assembler

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bobby Posted - Jan 02 2007 : 11:37:22 AM
Not sure if this should be posted under as bug report or as suggestion... anyways.
It would be nice that Visual Assist X would support inline assember or probably more correct would be to say do not support (probably there's not much out there who would need such support). Problem is that inline assember messes up your tool. I noticed that after a bigger inline assembly block suggestions become unusable, so it would be nice if they were simply ignored.

Regards
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 09 2007 : 07:40:45 AM
Does looking for and removing single quotes in your inline asm fix the problem for you?
Rain Dog Posted - Jan 08 2007 : 10:14:33 PM
I've experienced the same thing although I was never able to pin it down to inline asm
feline Posted - Jan 04 2007 : 12:17:32 PM
I am seeing the same effect here. Thank you for the clear description.

case=4361

As for suggestions, with both:

VA Options -> Text Editor -> suggestions -> display suggestion list
VA Options -> Text Editor -> suggestions -> Include bits of code from surrounding lines

turned on VA is sometimes suggesting "edi" and "ecx". true it is suggesting lots of other things as well that do not belong inside an assembler block, but suggestion listboxes (question mark icons) are designed to help, rather than to worry to much about completely valid suggestions.

You may find that the more assembler you type in a single block the more helpful the suggestions become, especially if you have "Include bits of code from surrounding lines" turned on.
Bobby Posted - Jan 04 2007 : 05:01:42 AM
I've tested a little and found out what exactly causes problems and seems my previous claims are slightly wrong. Sorry for that.
Here's small peace of code.

void SomeFunction(int nArg1, int nArg2)
{
}

void Reconstruct(int nArg1, int nArg2)
{
	__asm
	{
		; here's problem
		sub   edi, ecx
	}
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{

return 0;
}

If you'll try to call function SomeFunction from main VA won't give any suggestions. Problem is in line "; here's problem". ';' marks asm comment so it's all valid, but single quote messes VA up. Though, the fact that in inline asm it is possible to use C like comments helps here :)
Second problem is that if you try to retype line 'sub edi, ecx', you'll notice that VA suggestions here doesn't help at all, only annoys.
feline Posted - Jan 02 2007 : 11:41:42 AM
which IDE and version of VA are you using?
Would you be able to post or send me a file that shows this effect? Personally I never use inline assembler, or assembler at all so I am not quite sure where to start setting up a test case.

If you have a test file that you are able to send us then please send it files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000