Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Making VA work when there are no project files

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mbalusu Posted - Jan 19 2007 : 5:59:21 PM
Hi,
We are trying to use VAX with our legacy code base written in C/C++. Problem is we have our own build system which although uses VS2005 uses makefiles instead of .csproj file to build the solution.

According to thread :http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4568&SearchTerms=recurse,subdirectories

I copied our various include files into VAX's project->c/c++ directories and closed and opened the IDE. However I do not see any of the source/header files when I open VAX->Open source files in workspace.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 24 2007 : 08:42:24 AM
In the dummy project can you right click in solution explorer to access the projects properties and then go to:

Configuration properties -> C/C++ -> Precompiled headers

I would either tell the IDE that you are not using precompiled header files, or else set the location and file name for the precompiled header file to be something quite different, so it will not have any impact on your normal build process.

Hopefully this will fix this problem for you.
mbalusu Posted - Jan 23 2007 : 8:52:26 PM
1. Are you able to create a project just to stuff all your source into (even though you won't build using that project)?
Yes, but the problem is then it seems to be messing up our build process. Something about .pch file and the include files. Does creating a dummy project mess up the precompiled header or something...This was a pain to undo and get back our system to build again.

2. Are you using a vs2005 makefile project or is your build system totally separate from the IDE?
Our makefiles are a mix, else I would have been able to convert them into VS2005 .vcproj and proceed that way. Yes, our build system is seperate from IDE in a sense...

Any way to make VA work in our case. Messing up the build process as described in step1 is a show stopper though. Else we are looking to buy a bulk license.
sean Posted - Jan 19 2007 : 11:22:58 PM
The va directories list is more like an include path. It's not a substitute for a project.

Are you able to create a project just to stuff all your source into (even though you won't build using that project)?
Are you using a vs2005 makefile project or is your build system totally separate from the IDE?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000