Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 "Open Recent File" command

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Esone Posted - Mar 30 2007 : 05:08:25 AM
The Shift+Right Click context menu has "Open Recent Method" and "Open Recent File" commands. I am finding them very useful in my workflow. But I want to access them not over the context menu, but over my custom keyboard accelerator.

My pray is: please, expose these 2 commands into VAssistX commands, so that I could assign them accelerators. Let those menus appear somewhere in the center of source screen, when engaged via the keyboard accelerator.

Thank you.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Esone Posted - Apr 10 2007 : 10:42:48 AM
Good! Thank you.
feline Posted - Apr 10 2007 : 09:47:51 AM
I have put in a feature request for this.

case=5912

For now one solution would be some form of hotkey system utility. If the utility would capture your single hotkey it could then send the correct keyboard commands to the IDE to open VA's context menu and then the correct sub menu.

Off hand I do not know of a suitable program, but it should not be to hard to find one.
Esone Posted - Apr 10 2007 : 02:47:32 AM
I see 2 issues here:

1) The two-key macro "Shift_Context_menu + F" works for "open recent file", but this combination is not so comfortable as, say, Ctrl+K+K or Alt+R.
2) The appearing "recent files" list is a submenu of another huge context menu. IMHO this is a little buzzy.

The Question:
--------------
Is that possible to let users assign custom keyboard shortcuts for "open recent file" and "open recent method", leaving 2) intact? IOW, I press Alt+R, and VAX's behaviour would be same, as if "Shift_Context_menu + F" was pressed. This solution seems simple: no need to fire any standalone menus.

RickHodgin Posted - Apr 09 2007 : 3:39:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

a large number of commands require two key combinations to be used, in sequence.

Format Code = CTRL_K + CTRL_F
Toggle Bookmark = CTRL_K + CTRL_K

I'm a big fan of two-key macros. Most all of the ones I use in my current version of The SemWare Editor are two-key. They're still much faster than mouse-movement.
feline Posted - Apr 09 2007 : 12:57:53 PM
I like keyboard shortcuts, I use them all the time myself. Having said that, since VS2003 and VS2005 have so many default keyboard shortcuts a large number of commands require two key combinations to be used, in sequence.

Format Code = CTRL_K + CTRL_F
Toggle Bookmark = CTRL_K + CTRL_K

Against this background you can argue that a keyboard shortcut exists, Shift_Context_menu + F

This change is not as simple as simply adding a new keyboard mapping, the menu also needs to be made available as a stand alone menu, rather than a sub menu. Which is why I am not rushing to put in a feature request for this.

If there is a lot of interest in this feature then I will put in a request for it.
Esone Posted - Apr 09 2007 : 04:13:54 AM
I am here to notice again: I vote only for putting these two "recent" commands into the list of items that are available at customization time.

These commands are very useful in my workflow, but in their current location, they are unusable. I would assign Alt+R for the "open recent file", and I use this command rather often. So accessing it over cascading context menu is really not an option.
RickHodgin Posted - Apr 08 2007 : 7:39:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Does anyone else feel this would be useful?

I think keyboard shortcuts in general are always desirable. Even pressing the shift+RC and then another keystroke becomes an exercise in moving ones hands away from the keyboard and then back again. When you're in the groove, as it were, keystrokes save time and, more importantly, keep the train of thought flowing without mini exercises in precision mouse moving skills.

Didn't anyone use WordStar or QEdit/The SemWare Editor growing up? :)
Esone Posted - Apr 02 2007 : 03:42:39 AM
What I am asking for is that these two commands become available at Tools->Customize->Commands->VAssistX list.
No need to pre-assign any keyboard shortcuts to them, or expose them into menu. Keyboard shortcut assignments may be made by users(me), over customizing. So, this little exposure does not pollute anything.
feline Posted - Mar 30 2007 : 1:17:54 PM
Is it worth adding an extra keyboard shortcut just for this menu? Since there are the two sub-menus, recent method and recent file this turns into two extra keyboard shortcuts, and two extra menu's.

Does anyone else feel this would be useful?
Esone Posted - Mar 30 2007 : 10:35:15 AM
Yes, I know of this key combination, but direct accelerator for this list would be more handy. Is that hard to make it?
feline Posted - Mar 30 2007 : 10:01:43 AM
For now you can simply press SHIFT+Context_Menu, assuming you have the context menu key on your keyboard, and then use 'F' to jump to the "Open Recent File" sub-menu.

Alternatively assign a keyboard shortcut to VAssistX.OpenContextMenu

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000