Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Find XXX History Stack

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
invino4 Posted - May 06 2007 : 8:26:50 PM
I frequently use the Find Symbol, Goto Definition, Jump to Header, etc. functions that take you somewhere else to look up something up. I really need a way to jump back to where I was as soon as I've seen it. This, of course, needs to be a stack because frequently, when I go look something up, I then realize I need to look something else up and so on until I actually find the thing I need. Then I want to pop, pop, pop until I get back to where I started.

It would be great if this feature worked with the built-in VS Goto Definition, etc. commands as well as the VAX features.

- Jason.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 09 2007 : 08:29:19 AM
Personally I have never noticed a problem navigating backwards after using alt-g. Most other VA movement / jump commands, I never try to navigate backwards from, since I am busy going somewhere to edit something.

The main area that gets me is hitting CTRL-HOME or CTRL-END at the wrong point by accident, and then having to get back to where I was. This is find if I do it immediately, but if something gets in the way, like some more navigation, then I have to resort to undo to work out where I was working *sigh*

However it is hard to see how I can blame VA for this
sl@sh Posted - May 09 2007 : 05:05:14 AM
According to the first posting the idea was to be able to use various kinds of context jumps, using 'find', 'goto', and other methods, and then go back again, step by step (or even all the way to a certain point in navigation history).

This reminds me very much of how web browser navigation works. As a matter of fact, I am under the impression the VS navigate commands very much work this way, and so far I used them to that end quite often, although I noticed VS obviously doesn't consider each context jump performed through VA. I'm not sure why this is so, and what exactly is remembered by VS navigation history and what isn't.

Maybe if someone feels there is need for improvement, he could spend a little time testing this feature and point out which of the VA operations are not stored. Then VA could try to fix these. (if at all possible) Personally I'm fine, although I agree there is room for improvement.
feline Posted - May 08 2007 : 1:28:07 PM
VA offers navigate back and forward: http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/navigate.asp

this is not tied to Find References at all. The "problem" with any form of back and forward command is to define motion, since you are not really interested in moving the caret left 2 characters.

I have the feeling we are talking about completely different things at the moment. The movement commands I referred to are VA's back and forward plus the IDE's navigate back and forward commands.
invino4 Posted - May 07 2007 : 10:10:54 PM
Actually none of the commands do what I suggested, though the VS ones come close. The VAX Navigate Back and Forward work their way through the list of possible results for a given Find operation. This is not at all what I'm talking about (though this is on rare occasion useful). What I want is a popable stack of independent Find operations (not the multiple results of one operation). The VS commands do this for "Go To Definition" but it doesn't work in conjuction with any of the VAX commands (and doesn't work with some of the VS Find commands either) which weakens the whole point of them.
feline Posted - May 07 2007 : 08:32:52 AM
The IDE provides one set of navigation commands, and VA provides another set. They work slightly differently, so I tend to use one or the other until I end up back where I wanted to be, with a sprinkling of bookmarks thrown in for good measure.
sl@sh Posted - May 07 2007 : 04:41:58 AM
Both the View and VAssistX categories of commands provide Navigate Back and Navigate Forward commands. You can choose to add these to your toolbars (icons already provided) or assign shortcuts to them (some are already provided, although the View command shortcuts don't appear to work for me!?)
schoenherr Posted - May 07 2007 : 01:19:58 AM
i have the same problem, but was to lazy to type a suggestion, so i vote for this.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000