Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Parsing non included headers+wildcards

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dinkai Posted - Jul 19 2007 : 10:21:55 AM
Hi, I deal in an environment where the visual studio projects are usually make projects.

That being said, none of our packages are included in the main project file, so they are not parsed by visual studio or VA.

While visual studio lets you add individual directories for include files, source files etc it does not make it easy to add a large number of those directories, say maybe 50 packages with their own include and source directories, and subdirectories of their own.

It would be awesome if I could set VA to parse all headers and source files in MAINDIR\\PACKAGES\\* for example.

Thoughts?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 20 2007 : 06:38:58 AM
ouch. Trying to look on the bright side, you only have to do this once, then you can check this library project into Perforce and you have it, safe and sound, ever more.

Hopefully the benefits will be worth all this fuss.
dinkai Posted - Jul 19 2007 : 3:00:24 PM
3000+ headers with a dash of perforce added to the mix and still going sigh.
feline Posted - Jul 19 2007 : 1:05:59 PM
If you can create the project, would this be helpful to you?

I have just done the following, using VS2005.
* I created a new folder in an existing project (solution explorer, right click -> add -> new filter)
* Then I ran Windows Find and told it to search for all *.cpp files in a directory tree.
* * This returned a good number of files (332), across several subdirectories.
* I then just used CTRL-A to select all returned files, and I dragged them from Windows Find into the new folder in solution explorer in VS2005.

Be warned this did peg my CPU at 100% for about 5 minutes, but this also added 332 cpp files across 15 or 20 subdirectories in a single action.

Adding the files a handful at a time produced much shorter CPU spikes, but will clearly require more work.
dinkai Posted - Jul 19 2007 : 12:19:02 PM
Hi feline, vs2005 or 2003, what you suggested is a solution, unfortunately its the painful undesirable one because we also sometimes generate our vcproj files. Add to that its not just 50 include directories, its 50 include directories with sub directories, so potentially hundreds of subdirectories, and vs does not make it easy to add that many files.

Factor in that I'm dealing with 2-3 projects each with their own unique packages directories that are the same size, and it gets even more daunting.
feline Posted - Jul 19 2007 : 11:57:45 AM
If you add the directory:

C:\\boost\\

to VA's stable include directory list all files that are found inside this directory tree are considered to be stable, but VA does not automatically parse all files in this directory tree.

Which IDE are you using?
In VS2003 and VS2005 you can add a project to the solution, and then tell the IDE not to compile it, exclude it from the build process.

So if you create a single "all my library code" project, holding all 50 packages you can add this project to your solution, which instantly tells VA about all of the code. You will need to update this library project if / when you add more packages, but the solutions should automatically pick up these changes, since they are just using the project.

I never use makefile projects myself, so I am not sure if this will work the same way with makefile projects. Plus I don't know any way to tell VC6 not to bother compiling one project from the workspace.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000