Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 search for constant

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gmit Posted - Oct 22 2007 : 03:35:38 AM
There is one feature I miss during debugging (and, for example, it's offered in IDA). I would like to have a Find Constant dialog similar to Find Symbol - when a numeric value is entered, the list will show defines, enums and, possibly, const ints which equals to the entered value.

I was wondering - are there more people that would like such feature.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 24 2007 : 08:42:26 AM
Personally I see the appeal, but I also see some practical concerns.

Looking at the Find Symbol dialog in VA 1614 I am seeing the following:

Some of the values you are seeing in the definition column (the ones with a + sign) are calculated by VA for enum items. So the constant values are often listed here, but you do still have the problem of finding the item you want.
gmit Posted - Oct 24 2007 : 03:06:12 AM
To sl@sh:

That's exactly what I want. Some filtering (system-project) and by letter (like in find symbol window) will help in narrowing down the choice.

To feline:

I would expect all of them to be showed: TRIANGE as 1, SQUARE as 2, CIRCLE as 3 and ghi as 4.

OK, some more explanation. It's certainly not a feature I cannot live without; I just wanted to see if there are possibly more people that want this (obviously not).

I first saw the feature in IDA disassembler where it works rather nicely:

step 1 - http://tinyurl.com/365cg7
step 2 - http://tinyurl.com/377xu2

Recently I had to done some asm debugging in VS in which I had to track window messages; each was a hex number, so, I've had to manually find it in includes. At the same time, a friend of mine complained that his code is full of fixed constants that are difficult to rid of... So, I though it might be convenient to have such feature...
feline Posted - Oct 23 2007 : 5:07:24 PM
Let me rephrase the question. How does VA which of these is a constant:

enum Shapes { TRIANGLE = 1, SQUARE, CIRCLE };

enum {ghi = 4};

They both might be constants, or neither of them are constants. It needs some form of definition to separate out constants from "other things that look a bit like constants", or else you are just right back to the current FSIW dialog.

As soon as you look at enum's sl@sh is quite right, for any number under 10 you are likely to get far to many entries.
sl@sh Posted - Oct 23 2007 : 10:48:28 AM
The problem I see with enums is that when you use a lot, or just include a lot of sytem headers, you will end up with dozens or even hundreds of symbols equalling the constant '1'!
gmit Posted - Oct 22 2007 : 2:17:56 PM
By constants, I mean:
#define abc 3
const int def = 3;
enum {ghi = 4};

In dialog like 'find symbol', there could be listed:
abc 3
def 3
ghi 4

If in code you see something like:
a = b + 3
and the cursor is positioned over 3, after a command is invoked, VA could say that symbols abc and def are equal to 3 and can offer to change 3 to the selected symbol.

feline Posted - Oct 22 2007 : 1:47:48 PM
Calculating the enum's is not to big a problem.

What do you mean by a "constant"? For example what about

#define MY_INT long

Or the enum:

enum Shapes { TRIANGLE, SQUARE, CIRCLE };

I am a great believer in constants as constants, rather than hard coded in 3,000 places, but most of my enum's and #defines have nothing to do with numeric or string constants.

So the idea of a central list of constants is appealing, but what gets put in it, and how do you find the occasional constant when it is surrounded by a mass of other "things".
sl@sh Posted - Oct 22 2007 : 04:05:39 AM
Not sure how well this would work for enums, as those don't need to be assigned explicitely - it would require VAX to explicitely generate a list of enum integer values.

Apart from that I can see the appeal: replacing explicit constant values with previously defined symbols.

There already was a suggestion to generate a constant symbol if for some value no symbol exists yet. Maybe the above suggestion could be combined with that one.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000