Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 VA Outline comment symbol collapsing

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Maxim Posted - Nov 07 2007 : 11:38:36 AM
If I add a comments like these:

/******************************************************************************
 * This is a boxed comment using a block comment
 ******************************************************************************/

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// This is a boxed comment using line comments
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

then in the VA Outline I can't see any of the actual comment text without some serious horizontal scrolling. It'd be nice if it would collapse such strings down to something more minimal.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 09 2007 : 1:13:05 PM
My initial concern centred around marker comments like:

//*****************************************************************************

which I use to break code files up into logical blocks, or sometimes to simply mark the start of a function that does not need any further documentation.

The solution here is to only try and collapse a comment when there are words in it, which does not sound to hard to detect, at least most of the time:

case=9824
Maxim Posted - Nov 08 2007 : 06:55:11 AM
Well, the outline substitutes

foo()

for

void foo()
{
  // some code
}

so why not

// // foo //

for

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// foo
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

just by merging leading/trailing comment chars into each other. Well, it's a suggestion.
feline Posted - Nov 07 2007 : 12:52:53 PM
Place keyboard focus into VA outline and then hover the mouse over the comment item. You will then get a multi-line tooltip showing you the text in a much more readable format.

The problem with changing the displayed text is that it no longer reflects what you have in the file, which could cause problems when using VA Outline to reorder the current file via drag and drop.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000