Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Go to a message handler = lots of work

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
znakeeye Posted - Nov 22 2007 : 08:46:54 AM
I find this in my code:
CMyDialog dlg;
dlg.DoModal();

In 90% of the cases I want to look at CMyDialog::OnInitDialog. However, In the world of win32 methods are called via ugly message maps. So, in order to find the code of interest I must do the following:

Alt+G, Alt+O, Alt+M, "OnInit"<ENTER> ... yes, I can do that fast by now! ;)

NEW FEATURE
Wouldn't it be very nice to have another jump command that takes these horrible message maps into consideration? Perhaps just a "Jump to some method that is not being called right here"-command.

Then a menu would pop up when you press ALT+C (or whatever) and show you this cool menu:
CMyDialog
~CMyDialog
DoDataExchange
OnInitDialog
OnClose
OnDestroy

feline, I know you're gonna like this one
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 26 2007 : 1:12:20 PM
VA Outline is designed to show you the current file, but adding a command to update the HCB (bottom section in VA View) makes a lot of sense:

case=10133

It is obvious now you have suggested it
znakeeye Posted - Nov 25 2007 : 3:07:22 PM
Hmm, why not add a shortcut that explicitly opens the associated class of the selected variable in the Outline window?
feline Posted - Nov 23 2007 : 10:10:48 AM
Calling the shortcut "Outline" might make more sense in that dialog, but then it is inconsistent with the name else where. With so many windows / panels in the IDE it is good to give VA Outline a clear name, even if it is a little redundant
feline Posted - Nov 23 2007 : 10:08:41 AM
What happens when the class contains 200 methods?

My main concern at the moment is how well this will work in the edge cases. For a class with 3 methods a menu is fine, but for a class with 200 methods a menu really is not going to work.
znakeeye Posted - Nov 23 2007 : 07:30:49 AM
Actually, after some testing I think my feature makes sense. Too much key presses and clicks are required to get to CMyDialog::OnInitDialog when, for instance, debugging. Since you have already got the list of methods, why not add a nice "jump"-menu when hovering the variable or similar (right-click...)?
rhummer Posted - Nov 22 2007 : 6:24:19 PM
feline, i was doing VAssistX.Outline, wasn't thinking to look for VAssistX.VAOutline. Seemed kind of redundant to me having VA in the shortcut for VAssist. :P
feline Posted - Nov 22 2007 : 1:59:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by znakeeye

Perhaps just a "Jump to some method that is not being called right here"-command.

We already have this feature

Hover the mouse over "CMyDialog" and look at the bottom half of VA View, the Hovering Class Browser

Alternatively open the Find Symbol dialog (Alt-Shift-S) and filter it on "CMyDialog"
feline Posted - Nov 22 2007 : 1:45:32 PM
I have mapped a keyboard shortcut to the command VAssistX.VAOutline and it works wonderfully for me.

rhummer you may need to install a newer version of VA. Your keyboard shortcut might still be called VAssistX.LiveOutline, since VA Outline was originally called Live Outline while it was being developed.
rhummer Posted - Nov 22 2007 : 11:25:09 AM
You can change the key bindings for VA X commands, they all begin with VAssistX. Though I'm not finding one for VA Outline.
znakeeye Posted - Nov 22 2007 : 10:19:23 AM
I admit you could use the VA outline for this, which reminds me... there's no shortcut key for the VA outline! This is a must-have! I also noted that Alt+Shift+O explicitly opens the "Open file in solution"-dialog. I want it to open VA outline and then map Alt+Shift+F to this file dialog...

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000