Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Classwizard

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Obliterator Posted - Nov 30 2007 : 10:48:41 AM
Have you guys though about doing a replacement ClassWizard?

I really miss the old VC6 ClassWizard. The current implementation is completely broken in VS2005 and MS show no signs of fixing it until at least Orcas+1 (and even then I won't be holding my breath!)

Or maybe you could add right click option on the classes in VA View like Add Message Handler, Add Member Variable, Add Override, etc.

The new classwizard rarely works at all and when it does its pathetic. Its slow to run and only lets you add a single member variable at a time. Its quicker to add the declarations manually.

The Messages and Overrides buttons in the properties window wouldn't be too bad if they worked - but more often than not they fail to add new items (reporting read-only problems with source code even though the file is fully accessible). The functionality is also somewhat unintuitive and time consuming - I don't expect to have to click on the class in class view, then bring up the properties, then choose messages. I expect to right click on the class in class view, choose Add->Message Handler->Mouse Move.

I'd love to see a VA address the broken functionality in ClassWizard the same way you have for Intellisense. Please give it some thought!

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Obliterator Posted - Dec 03 2007 : 1:19:24 PM
I'm glad to hear the warm welcome to the idea - I'm sure I'm not alone in missing this functionality.

sl@sh you are right - I remember trying a beta of VS2003 and finding the damage had been done then. I read comments from MS at the time stating it would be addressed in the next major release - well its 5 years on, 2 major releases later and its still no better!

znakeeye Posted - Dec 03 2007 : 10:37:06 AM
Haha, yeah. It took me two years to find those "method implementors" in the properties window! :D
sl@sh Posted - Dec 03 2007 : 05:45:16 AM
You explicitely mention VS 2005, but as far as I can tell class wizard is virtually useless in VS 2003 as well. Just about the only thing it makes sense to use it for is the initial creation of MFC-based GUI classes. And even then, CW doesn't support any kind of project organisation on file basis: if you want to keep your headers in a different directory, you will have to manually change it inside the class wizard for every single class you create!

However, as I'm using an UML tool to generate my code, I'm not resorting to CW anyway
graham.reeds Posted - Dec 03 2007 : 05:01:35 AM
This could be helpful to me soon.

We are planning on moving to VS2005 in the new year when we release version 2 of our package (after 10 years of maintaining our v1 release in VC6:O ).

We don't use ClassWizard often, but when I do it's usually fairly heavily.

G.
feline Posted - Nov 30 2007 : 1:08:48 PM
It is an interesting idea, I have asked internally to see what people make of it.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000