Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Visual Slickedit-style auto complete

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mindcrime Posted - Dec 11 2007 : 12:15:00 PM
I love the way auto complete works in VAX, don't get me wrong, but one additional thing I sometimes miss from Slickedit when I used to use it was the way they do their auto complete.

Basically, you type a partial symbol like 'variab' and then hit a keystroke to search for anything beginning with this prefix either backwards or forwards in the file.

As you continue to hit the same keystroke, it searches for the next ocurrance (again either backwards or forwards in the file) and as it finds it, it highlights it. Then, once you find the symbol you want, a different keystroke will continue the completion all the way to the end of the line, one symbol at a time. It makes writing similar code faster because you don't have to leave your current caret position in the file to copy/paste.

It's hard to completely describe without actually using it, though. The SlickEdit plug-in for visual studio has this feature if you want to try it out. I think EMACS does this as well, but i've never used it so i can't say for sure.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 13 2007 : 3:17:47 PM
This reminds me of VA suggestions with:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> Include bits of code from surrounding lines

turned on.

VIM has a couple of commands. "Complete symbol" and "Complete line". Complete symbol is a primitive form of suggestion lists, while complete line makes the current line an exact match for a previous line in the current file. In my experience, when writing code, complete line sounds great, but I never actually found it that useful.

With that VA setting turned on VA will suggest "bits" of line, which can be very useful.
Mindcrime Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 4:01:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Are you describing a feature that does: "make this line look like that line"?

kind of. it starts out as "make this symbol look like that symbol" and expands into make this line look like that line. It's mostly used to complete a word based on prefix (since some variable names tend to be long) but has the nice added benefit of completing the rest of the line too
feline Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 3:37:08 PM
Are you describing a feature that does: "make this line look like that line"?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000