Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Alt+G using mouse

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dans Posted - Dec 11 2007 : 5:18:15 PM
Hi,

It whould be nice if Alt+G functionality will jump when i click on identifier (or other thing) with pressed Ctrl key.
Last time i found that i'm trying to do Ctrl+Click on identifier but without success - it's a known feature of some IDE's and experts.
I thik it will be really useful.

Thanks,
Dans
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 15 2007 : 11:38:04 AM
We have had quite a few users ask for a form of Find References trigged via the mouse, so that is the more popular "feature". As soon as we go around hard coding the command it is going to upset everyone who wants a different command.
Dans Posted - Dec 14 2007 : 10:52:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

So what happens when a user request that Control + Right mouse click does this instead?

Or that they want to trigger Find References instead of Alt-g? We actually have several different users asking for the mouse to trigger Find References in the current file only.

For me it is bad idea. LB+Ctrl is too general to invoke Find References window. Shortcut for find references is enough becuase it is not often used functionality instead of Alt+G.
Maybe some vote?

quote:

The idea is reasonable, but different users want different things.

So you postponed both or last suggestion?
feline Posted - Dec 14 2007 : 10:01:57 AM
So what happens when a user request that Control + Right mouse click does this instead?

Or that they want to trigger Find References instead of Alt-g? We actually have several different users asking for the mouse to trigger Find References in the current file only.

The idea is reasonable, but different users want different things.
Dans Posted - Dec 14 2007 : 08:20:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

This reminds me of an IDE power toy I came across some time ago that allowed you to bind your own actions inside the IDE to extra buttons on the mouse.

Instead of hard coding this what you really want is the ability to assign any IDE action / command to a mouse event. Have you looked for a utility to do something like this?

Hard coding is more prefer than searching for other utility :)
If it will be in VA and you can mention it in announcement, interest more customers in major version upgrade - more money.
Similar functionality implemented in ReSharper, but more elegantly. When mouse is over identifier and then you press Ctrl - identifier becomes underlined, like URL.

Workarounds is for weak and buggy programs

Thanks,
Dans
feline Posted - Dec 13 2007 : 3:12:52 PM
This reminds me of an IDE power toy I came across some time ago that allowed you to bind your own actions inside the IDE to extra buttons on the mouse.

Instead of hard coding this what you really want is the ability to assign any IDE action / command to a mouse event. Have you looked for a utility to do something like this?
mwb1100 Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 3:20:58 PM
It might not be quite as quick as Ctrl-LMB, but there's a case (case=3651) to add Goto Definition (ie., Alt-G) to the drop down menu. Dunno what the timeline for its implementation might be.
sl@sh Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 04:41:54 AM
Good idea in principle. However, Ctrl-LMB is already mapped to select word under cursor in the IDE, so it wouldn't be a good idea to overwrite this default behaviour, at least for those who use that combination a lot.

I could imagine Ctrl-MMB or maybe RMB-Doubleclick or sth on those lines. Maybe the easiest solution would be to provide an option for assigning a shortcut to this function. The user may then decide for himself what shortcut to use.

Unfortunately the built-in customize function doesn't allow to assign mouse events or combinations of mouse and key events to commands. Maybe VA could provide such a functionality? I'm not sure this is possible at all.
Adequat Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 02:59:06 AM
Agreed. I use VA mainly for its great navigation features, everything that goes in that direction is welcome.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000