Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Drop-down combo is too narrow!

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
znakeeye Posted - Dec 12 2007 : 10:24:13 AM
I type the following in VS 2008 (VAX 1623):

TVN_<ctrl+space>

Now a combo box appears with all strings matching "TVN_". The problem is that it is too narrow to display most of the strings. This is extremely annoying!
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 01 2008 : 2:58:23 PM
I need to press more than twice, but I am able to reproduce the narrow listbox quite easily:

case=12172

Still no idea why you get it all of the time though.
znakeeye Posted - Feb 01 2008 : 10:41:30 AM
Until I get time to create the logs, I believe you can get to this state easily if you press <Ctrl+Space> twice in a row. I believe that is correct behavior (or?), but at least this shows the state to which I manage to take an unwanted shortcut. I'll get back to you regardin this.
feline Posted - Jan 30 2008 : 6:01:27 PM
Clearly something is going wrong here. Can you please enable VA logging, reproduce the problem where the listbox is not updating, and also take a couple of screen shots of the listbox, so we can see what is going wrong, and send the files to me please?

Please close the IDE after reproducing the problem, this stops the log files from getting to large.

This FAQ gives details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305
znakeeye Posted - Jan 30 2008 : 05:18:53 AM
No, that's not the key. This list contains ALL symbols, and it seems VAX acronyms are completely dead. I can type whatever I like -- the drop-down list does not change as soon as the letters do not match:

TVN_<ctrl+enter>T
that narrows it down... but then:
TVN_<ctrl+enter>TypeWhateverYouLikeHere
feline Posted - Jan 23 2008 : 3:56:18 PM
What happens if you type "END", so you have "TVN_END"?

Since this is at the bottom of the listbox any effects should be a lot more obvious.

Do you have any other plugin's installed on this machine?
Any software that is on this machine and not the other? I am looking for any clues as to what is going on here.
znakeeye Posted - Jan 23 2008 : 02:35:18 AM
Hmm, it doesn't react at all!

TVN_
That shows a correctly formed list. Pressing <ctrl+space> at this time causes the "too narrow"-list to be shown. If I start typing "BEGIN" or similar, the list stays the same and I get no further suggestions.
feline Posted - Jan 22 2008 : 1:07:35 PM
I have the files, thank you for these:

case=11689

Unfortunately they have not helped. I have tried this 20 or 30 times, with all of your settings imported, on a winXP machine with VS2008, and the listbox was the correct width every single time.

Are you aware of any differences between your two machines that might explain this?

Looking at your "WM_" example, when I type "WM_" and press CTRL-SPACE to get a listbox, and then continue typing:

WM_choo|

Using your settings, as the listbox is filtered it is changing size. Its width changes to always fit the longest word showing. Are you seeing a similar behaviour as you type?
feline Posted - Jan 21 2008 : 4:23:41 PM
On your primary computer, where you see this all the time, can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up. I can then import your settings here, and see if they make any difference.
znakeeye Posted - Jan 21 2008 : 09:50:02 AM
On my primary computer, TVN_<ctrl+enter> always yields a too narrow drop-down -- without syntax coloring.
znakeeye Posted - Jan 20 2008 : 12:27:15 PM
Managed to get this behavior on another computer too, but not that often. However, this seems to screw things up a little:

WM_<ctrl+enter>

For instance, WM_CHOOSEFONT_GETLOGFONT is not visible since it is too long. In this case, syntax highlighting is applied.
feline Posted - Jan 19 2008 : 2:27:49 PM
When this listbox appears, are the items in it coloured by VA, or are they all black?

This assumes you have told VA to apply syntax colouring to listboxes.

Is the listbox always to narrow? Or does this only happen some of the time? I have managed to reproduce this once or twice, but it is only happening some of the time, apparently at random. For me the narrow listbox does not have any syntax highlighting applied to it.
znakeeye Posted - Jan 18 2008 : 02:58:37 AM
VS 2008. Font is Courier New, size 10. DPI setting = 96.
The bug is reproducible on this computer...
feline Posted - Dec 20 2007 : 11:20:08 AM
We will have to look at this when you return to work. I suspect the problem is related to some setting somewhere, perhaps an IDE font setting, but this is just a guess to be honest.
znakeeye Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 6:20:05 PM
Not back to work until January, but since I have an LCD with proper resolution I find it very unlikely that I would have anything else than 96 DPI.
gmit Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 09:21:40 AM
Sorry if I bore you, but, please check this (there are two font options with similar labels, but different meaning):

Go to Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, General and there you have 'DPI setting' - is it normal or large?

Tnx.
znakeeye Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 09:09:17 AM
XP SP2 + VS2008 + VAX2064.
Windows Classic Style, Font size = Normal. All "Visual Effects" disabled!
gmit Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 04:02:48 AM
Do you have large fonts (higher DPI setting)?
znakeeye Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 03:59:57 AM
I really don't know. It happens all the time. Though, I do know where the width comes from:

1) I type TVN_ and a list is shown. The width of this drop-down is X pixels.
2) I press Ctrl+Space and the list is re-populated with many more items. The width is still X pixels + scrollbar!
feline Posted - Dec 15 2007 : 11:41:09 AM
90% of the time... Have you seen any form of pattern to this? I am wondering what might be triggering this.
znakeeye Posted - Dec 14 2007 : 1:17:21 PM
No theme in Windows. Classic ftw, high five! No special font. I just installed VS 2008 (on top of 2003 and 2005) and began coding. It happens like 90% of the time... :(

#pragma once

class CMyFrame : public CMDIChildWnd
{
TVN|
// ctrl+space here yields a narrow drop-down! :(
feline Posted - Dec 14 2007 : 09:37:48 AM
How badly does it fail on your system?
This might be down to the IDE settings, perhaps the fonts you have set? Or perhaps the fonts you have set in windows. Are you using a custom theme in windows?
znakeeye Posted - Dec 13 2007 : 3:46:28 PM
Ok, so the question is how it is possible that it fails on my system. I'll try to make a sample project that always fails.
feline Posted - Dec 13 2007 : 3:02:05 PM
It is fine on my system, VS2008, VA 1624, winXP SP2.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000