Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Edit multiple lines at once

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
znakeeye Posted - Dec 18 2007 : 5:34:44 PM
I can't believe that VS 2008 still doesn't support this! Have you tried UltraEdit? Press Alt+C and you get a "column mode" where you can type at multiple lines at once. Incredibly useful if you want to write multiple lines with similar text (defines etc).

Do you think this could be accomplished with VAX?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 20 2007 : 11:28:32 AM
Personally, when I want to update a group of similar lines, e.g. emum items, I select the lines and just use the IDE's find and replace feature on the selected lines, which seems to do the same thing you are talking about here.

I have used VIM's ability to select a rectangle of text before, but I only ever used it to delete a block of text. I never did work out how to use this feature for more powerful editing.

Proportional fonts, and word wrapped lines are both worrying edge cases here.

I don't want to just say "no" to this idea, but I am wondering how best to try and made it work.
znakeeye Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 6:17:08 PM
Actually, what I said to sl@sh is not true. In UltraEdit a copied string "text" will only be pasted on one line, even though you have several selected. Perhaps you could extend Ctrl+Shift+V to do multi-line pastes when in "column mode"?

Regarding the font, I don't think it can be changed to non-fixed size.
feline Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 10:07:26 AM
How does UltraEdit handle proportional fonts? Personally I use a fixed width font for my code, but not everyone does.

I like this idea, and what you are describing sounds very useful. I am just trying to think through how to break this. The more "fragile" the feature, the harder it is to implement correctly.

I am also wondering about things like copying a string 8 characters long, but then selecting a block only 3 characters wide, several lines deep, and doing your paste.
znakeeye Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 08:45:34 AM
sl@sh, in UltraEdit you can:

1) Copy some text
2) Press Alt+C and select where you want to paste
3) Ctrl+V. The text is copied to all lines. Magic! :)

This feature is especially useful for enums and defines where parts of the names tend to be identical.
sl@sh Posted - Dec 19 2007 : 04:16:08 AM
Interesting - I never thought of this feature as a means to actually enter meaningful text. I just thought it a helpful ability to shift blocks by inserting spaces, or mark and copy blocks of text with both horizontal and vertical limits.

That said, even if multiline edit cannot be easily implemented, would it be possible for VA to somehow let the user mark a range of lines and columns for the purpose of cutting/copying and inserting?

Or as an alternative to multiline edit, how about 'pushing' a section in one line down to a number of lines below, by inserting that text into the lower lines at the same position?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000