Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Smart variable declaration

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
znakeeye Posted - Jan 07 2008 : 04:14:23 AM
I don't know how many times I write this a day:
CSomeClass someClass;

Wouldn't it be great if there was some fast "Declare a variable of this type, with a decent name"-function? I think there should be something like Ctrl+Enter that does things like this (I'm using acronyms here):
Cmycs Ctrl+Enter yields: CMyClass myClass;\\n
usig Ctrl+Enter yields: unsigned int i;\\n

The variable name should then be selected to let the user decide whether it should be changed or not.

Regarding class instances, I believe the best solution is to remove any leading 'C' and then make the first character lower case. For basic types I guess this is a good trade-off:
char => c
long/int => i
other => var

An extension would be to allow Ctrl+Enter after an asterisk, and insert the following:
CMyClass* Ctrl+Enter yields: CMyClass *pMyClass = new CMyClass(|);
int* Ctrl+Enter yields: int *pVar = new int[|];

Feline, what you say? High five?
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 07 2008 : 2:13:24 PM
I do see the appeal, but I can also feel an "enthusiastic discussion" (someone will want me lynched if we do that ) coming on from people who want different naming conventions.

A couple of obvious edge cases:
* class member variables. often these start with "m_" or "_"
* 6 variables in a row of the same type

While testing things I often end up with similar names, but for real world code at least half my variables have "better" names that are more descriptive.

A lot of people hate the idea of using the type as part of the variable name. Personally I find this helpful, especially when working in a scripting language, but again it is down to personal preference.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000