Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 '.' improvement

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
znakeeye Posted - Jan 17 2008 : 10:19:19 AM
I have this text (cursor at end):
AfxGetApp|

If I type '.' the most reasonable is to insert "()->". That is, the parentheses should be inserted automatically. The same goes for ';' when there are no (or only default) parameters:
myString.Trim|

';' should generate "();"

Motivation
I use backspace quite frequently. That often means I unintentially (or sometimes intentionally) delete the parentheses. Similarly, I often copy function names and then have to add the parentheses manually.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 19 2008 : 2:34:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by znakeeye

It doesn't matter if a local variable called AfxGetApp is about to be declared -- there will never be a subsequent dot.

I don't follow this. Why not? Create a variable of a complex type, and you use dot to access its members.

I see the appeal of having VA insert brackets, but I am concerned that it might cause problems. How accurate is this going to be?
znakeeye Posted - Jan 19 2008 : 04:59:18 AM
Yes, the brackets are inserted. But if I copy the function name I have to type them manually. I really don't see why the '.' shouldn't complete the parentheses too. It doesn't matter if a local variable called AfxGetApp is about to be declared -- there will never be a subsequent dot.

In Clipboard: AfxGetApp
Ctrl+V '.' should generate:
AfxGetApp()->

The same should happen for GetClientRect(), even though it requires parameters. Motivation: The parentheses should always be there.
feline Posted - Jan 17 2008 : 3:06:33 PM
If you accept a listbox for AfxGetApp or these member functions "Fool" then brackets should have been inserted for you.

If I understand correctly you have deleted the brackets. How is VA to know this was by accident, and not deliberate? You might be about to add a new local variable with this name, so the code without brackets is correct.
znakeeye Posted - Jan 17 2008 : 10:23:28 AM
Hmm, I believe comma (',') should also complete the parentheses:

Fool(a.Fool, b.Fool;
generates:
Fool(a.Fool(), b.Fool());

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000