Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Update includes on file rename

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
accord Posted - Jan 26 2008 : 7:46:35 PM
We have discussed already that VAX do not want to allow file renames.

VS2005 and 2008 allow me to rename files (right click on solution explorer, then rename). What about to hook on this rename, and update the necessary include statements?

In this case wholetomato do not have to worry about file rename problems (for example source controls), because the rename is issued by VS, and VAX is only changing the references (includes) like when I rename a variable)
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 29 2008 : 09:01:52 AM
I understand the appeal of this. I am also wary of people seeing it as the thin end of the wedge for renaming files.

Renaming a symbol with Find and Replace is often not a viable idea, while renaming #include lines does sound reasonable quite a lot of the time.
accord Posted - Jan 28 2008 : 3:40:50 PM
quote:
As soon as this starts to happen, accurately deciding which #include refers to the file you have just renamed, as opposed to another form of the same file, becomes difficult.

...or at least more difficult than a simple search and replace. Rename (symbol) was much more difficult to implement wasn't?

I know there is a LOT of bugs and feature requests already, but VAX is the best in C++ refactoring and maybe it is a good idea to increase it's advantage.

15xx was a big step to this direction, with a lot of new powerful refactoring, I hope 17xx will contain some more suprise

OK, this include stuff is NOT my most wanted feature, only little suggestion.
feline Posted - Jan 28 2008 : 08:25:07 AM
Have you considered simply running an IDE find and replace across all files?

My concern here is how does VA work out which include statements to update. Most of the time this should be simple and straight forward, however duplicate file names in different parts of a large project are quite common. As soon as this starts to happen, accurately deciding which #include refers to the file you have just renamed, as opposed to another form of the same file, becomes difficult.

The find and replace suffers from exactly the same problem, but since you are doing this "manually", so hopefully thinking about it, you will know if this is sensible or not for your current situation.
znakeeye Posted - Jan 27 2008 : 3:40:53 PM
Great idea! Top priority if you ask me :D

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000