Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Detect unhandled exceptions

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
znakeeye Posted - May 09 2008 : 10:07:50 AM
A lacking feature in C++ is the ability to detect when exceptions are not handled.
foo(bool x)
{
  if (x)
     throw("Error");
}

foo(true); // The compiler will not see this problem!

Why not add a VAX-feature where you list such possible errors? You can simply walk up the call-trees and see if any thrown objects might cause an "Unhandled exception".

A "Fix errors"-button would also be convenient, where the necessary code is added:
foo(true); // I press "Fix" and it becomes...

try
{
   foo(true);
}
catch(const char *e)
{
   // TODO: Handle exception
}
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 10 2008 : 09:29:45 AM
We have no current plans to get involved in static analysis of code.
znakeeye Posted - May 09 2008 : 4:44:48 PM
It should analyze when the user tells it to do so. Just as it finds references when we tell it to :)

The more errors you can find at syntactical level, the better! Also, even if you have an #ifdef, like yours, you should indeed have a catch-block (inside an #ifdef too, of course). Hence, those defines don't affect this.

If there is a "throw" there should always be a corresponding "catch"!

(And no, I don't use such tools. No need to, since VAX makes me code like a true master :P)
feline Posted - May 09 2008 : 11:07:55 AM
An interesting idea, but I don't see how VA could hope to do this. You need to know how the code will be compiled, since you need to allow for conditional statements:

foo(bool x)
{
  if (x)
#ifdef USING_EXCEPTIONS
     throw("Error");
#else
     return -1;
#endif
}

Also when does VA analyse the code? It cannot be analysed while you are editing it, since you have not finished writing it.

Have you looked into static analysis tools?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000