Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Project Dependend C/C++ Directories

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jwiesemann Posted - May 16 2008 : 04:25:01 AM
I use Visual Studio 6 and VAX to do development for several platforms. This forces my to change the C/C++ Directories manually every time I want to work with a new project on a different platform. To choose between just two platforms (windows and custom) doesn't really solve the problem.

It gets even worse, when I have to open a firmware project of a device (eg. gcc on Coldfire) while working with the server software that runs on windows. I sometimes get strange results until I recognize that the directories setting is for the wrong platform.

Thus I would really enjoy a means to set up the C/C++ directories on a per project base. Being able to add own platforms and to have the platform choice stored into the project file would be a great advantage.

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 17 2008 : 10:08:52 AM
I did not know you could do that for Makefile projects in VC6. Thank you for the information I have seen several people ask about additional include directories for VC6 makefile projects, so this will be most helpful. I have added it to our FAQ for future reference:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W279

jwiesemann Posted - May 16 2008 : 12:03:34 PM
It seems to work!

I had to add a line

CPP=cl.exe

after

#Begin Project

to make VS accept the .dsp file again. Then I can add

# ADD CPP /I "dir1" /I "dir2"

at the end of a #PROP section and VAX uses this entries. This is very helpful!
jwiesemann Posted - May 16 2008 : 11:25:19 AM
Sadly VS doesn't allow the setting of include directories for make file projects. These projects don't have a tab C/C++.

Could I cheat VAX by adding a line

# ADD CPP /I "dir"

to the project file? That would be nearly perfect.
feline Posted - May 16 2008 : 09:55:50 AM
We do not have any current plans to make the platforms project specific. One simple reason is that to properly change platforms VA needs to rebuild its symbol database. As soon as you consider two instances of the IDE, with two different projects open in it, trying to use two separate platforms at the same time, problems are going to occur.

Have you considered using the Additional include directories settings for the projects, so that each project has the correct directories listed here?

I use this regularly in VS2005. In VC6 I have right clicked on the workspace in FileView and selected Settings.
On the C/C++ tab, under the Category "Preprocessor" there is the field "Additional include directories"

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000