Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 More options in the options dialog

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hotzenplotz Posted - Jun 10 2008 : 7:41:32 PM
After reading this thread

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7724

and the "TOPIC_ID=7809" thread that's quoted there, I wondered just how many more options are waiting in the registry to be tweaked. I know you guys don't like huge loaded options dialogs, but I sure would appreciate it if settings like that could simply be changed in some "advanced options..." dialog.

After all it's a little annoying to find out a tool you purchased can do thing X, but you never would have found out about it, if you hadn't stumbled across some thread in the vendors support forum.

I'm not suggesting to implement new settings/options here, just to implement the settings/options dialog for stuff that's already there.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Krakken Posted - Jun 16 2008 : 11:34:18 PM
I think it would be nice to see these options in an "Advanced Options" dialog, as hotzenplotz suggested. It keeps the interface simple but provides extra power to those more familiar with VA.
Dans Posted - Jun 11 2008 : 11:47:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

There are a couple of separate points here. The size of our options dialog, we are trying to keep it as small and simple as possible. One reason for this is that some, perhaps even most users never actually look in the options dialog. When they do we do not want to overwhelm them with options.

Dans depending on the IDE and programming language you are working in you may need to set an IDE option or two to achieve the effect you want.

I can't disable VA List box auto dropdown. Can you tell me how??? I use VA only for C++ (VC6, VS 2005)

quote:

This is the second factor at work. The IDE and VA options "overlap", in the sense that you need to set both of them to achieve the results you want. In the more recent IDE's there are a LOT of IDE options, and I sometimes still have trouble remembering where a given IDE option is hidden, and I am in and out of both the IDE and VA options dialogs all of the time.

Just tell about limitation in Option's tooltip.

quote:

To me this is a good argument in favour of a fairly simple options dialog without to many settings to configure.

But not for me. You do not create tweaking options that requested because you don't want to increase Options dialog complexity? IOW "we do not improve VA flexibility because there will be too much options..." It's just my subjective opinion.

quote:

VA options that have to be set via the registry, normally this happens when we are adding a new option that only a few users seem interested in. The idea is to see how much interest there is, and if there is enough interest to then move the option into the VA options dialog.

I don't know about these options so I can't try. Tweaking options should be shown anyway except they are created for internal testing.

Offtopic:
You can use for creating option pages HTMLayout (http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/). In this case you can create dialog dynamically and simplify adding new option to several lines in configuration file. Think about it.
feline Posted - Jun 11 2008 : 08:36:36 AM
There are a couple of separate points here. The size of our options dialog, we are trying to keep it as small and simple as possible. One reason for this is that some, perhaps even most users never actually look in the options dialog. When they do we do not want to overwhelm them with options.

Dans depending on the IDE and programming language you are working in you may need to set an IDE option or two to achieve the effect you want.

This is the second factor at work. The IDE and VA options "overlap", in the sense that you need to set both of them to achieve the results you want. In the more recent IDE's there are a LOT of IDE options, and I sometimes still have trouble remembering where a given IDE option is hidden, and I am in and out of both the IDE and VA options dialogs all of the time.

To me this is a good argument in favour of a fairly simple options dialog without to many settings to configure.

VA options that have to be set via the registry, normally this happens when we are adding a new option that only a few users seem interested in. The idea is to see how much interest there is, and if there is enough interest to then move the option into the VA options dialog.
Dans Posted - Jun 11 2008 : 07:56:34 AM
Me too.
VA needs tweaking for concrete developer. Currently options dialog contains almost nothing.

Especially I need to disable automatically showed list box with suggestion (VS analog: Auto list members). Currently we have only options to filter list box but not disabling auto dropdown.
It makes me mad every day (not only me) . I need suggestion only after pressing Ctr+Space.
schoenherr Posted - Jun 11 2008 : 12:48:21 AM
i support this suggestion

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000