Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Explorer context menu in file tab context menu

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jmihalicza Posted - Jul 17 2008 : 06:34:35 AM
In Araxis Merge if I right click on the file name there is the context menu of Windows Explorer embedded under an Explorer submenu (http://www.araxis.com/merge/overview1.html).

There my typical use case is in directory comparison when if I copy the new file to the target branch I can also add it from that context to version control using the Explorer context menu.

In the case of MSVC+VAX IDE I would like to reach version control or other shell context functions similarly.
Yes, integrated version control would suffice, but that is buggy and causes more trouble.
Now I always click on open containing folder, select context menu there, then I also have to close the opened window and get back to the IDE. It is Just enough to loose my context, my focus.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jmihalicza Posted - Jul 21 2008 : 05:48:10 AM
The external tool is a convenient solution, thanks for the tip.
feline Posted - Jul 19 2008 : 4:51:47 PM
This blog post is in the back of my mind when I say I am worried about this causing possible problems:

http://www.zabkat.com/blog/10Feb08.htm

All about shell extensions crashing a file manager. As soon as we try to make all installed shell extensions appear inside the IDE I am concerned about a shell extension reacting badly to this unexpected environment.

Have you considered adding an External Tool?

VS2005 -> Tools menu -> External Tools...

I have just added Vim as an external tool, and told the IDE to pass it the parameter $(ItemPath) which causes Vim to open the current file. Since Vim has now been added to the IDE tools menu you should be able to assign a keyboard shortcut to this command, move the menu item around, etc, to make it nice and easy to access and trigger.
jmihalicza Posted - Jul 18 2008 : 4:33:17 PM
I don't think that it could cause problems, since it is hidden under a single, to say 'Explorer', menu item (as you can see on the image at the link in my first post, there only the menu item appears, the picture is not about its contents).

Pushing a button to enable file follow and open solution explorer is about the same as using open containing folder in complexity, but indeed a working solution and eliminates the need of context switch.

Actually I can live with using open containing folder, that addition is just a nice-to-have for me, and I don't miss it that much. I don't know if there are others who would like and use the feature if it was implemented.
feline Posted - Jul 18 2008 : 1:49:10 PM
I am bothered by this idea. It would involve getting anything and everything that appears in the explorer context menu to appear in the IDE. I have the feeling that this could cause problems.

Are you aware that you can add a toolbar button to the IDE to turn on and off tracking the current file in Solution Explorer? This would allow you to turn this feature on, and to quickly and easily find the new file in Solution Explorer.
jmihalicza Posted - Jul 18 2008 : 03:58:50 AM
Using the solution explorer would be similarly slow than open containing folder. It is usually closed, so I have to find the file (it is set not to follow the current file), and I had to add many items to the Open with... menu, because there is a set of functions (log, blame, commit, update) I often use.

After all, the round with open containing folder works for me, but I always feel a back step when I use the IDE after a longer merge session where I have the functionality.

I don't feel that a big must anyway.

In practice I thought it to be a last menu item in the file tab context menu, under the new tab group items, that cannot bother anybody.
feline Posted - Jul 17 2008 : 5:56:18 PM
If you right click on a file in Solution Explorer you should see "Open With..."
Have you considered setting up the diff program as one of the programs you can open the file with?
accord Posted - Jul 17 2008 : 4:33:02 PM
So, if I see correctly you would like an explorer context menu if you right click on the source? (Or into the shift+click over the source menu, the same basic idea)

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000