Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 automatic using namespace;

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
meissnersd Posted - Sep 19 2008 : 10:05:01 AM
My buddy is a fan of ReSharper and we were comparing that with Visual Assist X. Kind of a "who's is better" session

Anyway one feature he hit me with is if a C# type name is not recognized and if it is a well known type but not imported by the using block, when his cursor is on the offending typename he gets a little dropdown that allows the
using namespace;
to be automatically added at the top.

Example:
if I just type
Thread t = new Thread( mymethod );
it would notice that System.Threading namespace needs to be added to the using block at the top and give you a fast control to just add it.
I think it also adds System assemblies to the references section as needed...

It would have to be sophisticated since simple types can easily collide in namespaces, (which is the whole point of namespaces) but you can give the user several choices in a dropdown, similar to when they start type an identifier with multiple matches . And it would have to be user driven. The system guessing wrong and automatically inserting stuff would be annoying.

Karl

2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 22 2008 : 10:58:37 AM
VA has this feature in C#. You should see listbox "suggestions" appear as you type so long as you have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Refactoring -> Include refactoring suggestions in listboxes

turned on.

Highlighting unused using namespace lines is not something we currently do.
meissnersd Posted - Sep 19 2008 : 10:12:07 AM
Actually another "nice to have" feature is that is highlights using name spaces with are not needed by the code in the file.
It is nearly such a big deal though.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000