Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Typing in List Methods box

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Damir Posted - Oct 24 2008 : 5:34:15 PM
When typing in the List Methods box, if the first letter that you are typing is not found in any of the methods, it automatically switches focus to the current view.

Now, I'm not a super typist where I can type blindly and catch that behaviour, so a lot of times I end up typing somewhere in my code. If the file is under Source Control it pops up a box asking to Check Out.... Just gets annoying a bit.

Would it be possible to correct this behavior of the List Methods box and not to switch focus?

Thanks,
Damir
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Damir Posted - Jan 25 2011 : 10:55:57 AM
Nice! Thanks
support Posted - Jan 24 2011 : 4:06:14 PM
case=20630 is fixed in build 1840
feline Posted - Nov 18 2008 : 6:07:49 PM
In the short term you could try binding a more continent keyboard shortcut to VAssistX.ListMethodsInCurrentFile in the IDE options dialog.

I am so used to Alt-m that it does not bother me that it uses both hands, but I can see how this might get in the way.
Damir Posted - Oct 30 2008 : 11:43:20 AM
Thanks for upgrading this into a bug case. Habits are hard to kill, so I think I'll still be clicking inside Context Field box ;) I also find Alt+#### shortcuts harder because it requires two hands and better coordination. Luckily this happens only once in a blue moon, so I can wait for the fix.

Thanks
feline Posted - Oct 29 2008 : 2:07:24 PM
I am seeing the same effect here. Thank you for the clear description.

case=20630

I am only seeing the problem if I click into the context field, not if I click on the down arrow that shows the list of methods in the file. Alt-m may be the best work around here, if you don't mind using the keyboard for that.

Personally I always use the mouse in preference to the keyboard, so I tend not to find mouse specific bugs at first, unless I am specifically testing for them
Damir Posted - Oct 28 2008 : 10:16:42 AM
Maybe that's the method developers were testing with. ;) Your way does work.

I never use Alt+M to open List Methods because frankly I didn't even know about this shortcut. I click inside the List Methods combo with mouse and then start typing.
feline Posted - Oct 28 2008 : 08:42:50 AM
using VS2008 and VA 1649 I have opened a cpp test file.
I them pressed Alt-m to open the list methods in file list.
I typed "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" to filter it.

None of the function names in this file contain any z's, so the list was empty after the first letter. All of these letters went to filter the list, none of them went to the file.

How similar is this to what you are doing?
Damir Posted - Oct 27 2008 : 10:59:59 AM
Oops... OK, a little clarification:

Say you are looking for a function "quick_sort", but it's not there and none of the functions contain letter "q" in the name. So if you start typing "qu...", the second letter "u" ends up in the code.

So if first letter is not found, the focus changes to the code window and the second letter ends up in your code.

IDE VC6, VS2008
C++
feline Posted - Oct 27 2008 : 10:08:25 AM
I am not seeing this behaviour.

Which IDE and version of VA are you using?
Which programming language are you working in?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000