Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Doxygen support

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Adequat Posted - Nov 17 2008 : 02:31:19 AM
A you may know, Doxygen is a standard to document one's code.
Apart the automatic documentation extraction, it is also possible to use Doxygen to build a manual from explicit comments in code.
What would be great, is to have VA to support a few key Doxygen tags. Example:

In one source code I have the tag:

\\page shortcut_system Shortcut System

I would simpy like to have VA lists this tag (\\page shortcut_system) in its symbol list, to be able to jump to the right place any time.

4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 24 2008 : 08:50:27 AM
Snippets while writing comments. This has come up several times before. If we enable snippets in comments then they are going to get into the way. You probably have a snippet with the shortcut "if", but "if" is also a common English word. You probably do not want to replace every instance of "if" with an if loop.

If you are using // style comments then you can simply start a new line, not type the // at the beginning, and type the snippet shortcut instead to insert the comment section you want.

Adequat we are considering a form of Find References that searches comments, but this would only search for fixed strings, not for regular expressions:

case=9563

I do see the appeal of using regular expressions to define symbols, but I also see some of the possible support problems. It won't be long before people start trying to write complex regular expressions. This has two problems. Firstly every tool I use that has regular expression support does so differently *sigh* Plus it is rather easy to write slow / nasty regular expressions that will cause performance problems when run across your entire solution.
Adequat Posted - Nov 22 2008 : 02:27:26 AM
Doxygen is not the only tool that uses /* */ comments to embed some information in files. Browsing through this would be useful... hence VA could provide a feature like: the user sets a number of RegEx patterns which are evaluated for each comment block; found symbols are then added to the VA symbol list that the user can access.
Of course, without this, I am currently using the IDE's find tool, but this is not the same at all as browsing +? la VA!
url Posted - Nov 19 2008 : 11:21:22 PM
I use doxygen & I use the VA snippets to provide the basics of my doxygen comments, what would be nice is if the VA snippets worked within comment blocks so I can add extra doxygen tags when they are needed. This would save me heaps of time writing formatted comments.

As far as I can see I can't do this with the version of VA that I am using.
feline Posted - Nov 18 2008 : 08:43:21 AM
Have you considered using the IDE's Find in Files feature?

In general terms you are asking for VA to look for anything matching the following pattern in all files, which will quickly turn into the request to search all files for the following regular expression.

You can automate triggering a specific IDE find with an IDE macro if that helps.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000