Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 VA View feature needs a great surgery

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
netics Posted - Dec 09 2008 : 8:26:11 PM

It really seems that you abandon VA view feature. It has so many defect.

In VA view,

1. When I press context key, context menu of toolbar popped. It should be right mouse click context menu.

2. When I press enter key on a focused item of VA View, NOTHING happens. Goto action should be invoked.

3. Three keyboard shortcut can be customized.

VAssistX.VAView
VAssistX.VAViewFIS
VAssistX.VAViewSIS

But, VAAssistX.VAView and VAAssistX.VAViewFIS works same way.

VAAssistX.VAView command should focus on recent item list window of VA View.

4. In VAView.SIS editable-dropdown window, when I type, dropdown expanded and shrinked by using typed word as filter.
Then, if I press page down key, filtered list return back to fill list. It should work same way like suggestion/completion list of code editor window.
That is, page down key move only focus in filtered item list.

5. Same method have two different entry.

ex)
PlayerShip.GetTarget
:Game:ProtoType:PlayerShip:GetTarget

There should be only one entry.

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Jan 27 2009 : 9:14:32 PM
We performed a great surgery on VA View :)
case=21569, case=21570, and case=21572 are fixed in build 1715
sean Posted - Dec 11 2008 : 11:39:25 PM
I WASN'T YELLING THOUGH. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rd7j-aSqFU
netics Posted - Dec 11 2008 : 11:25:22 PM
! <---- THIS IS INTENSE!

And! Now! I! Assured! that! you! have! some! personal! emotion! about! VA View! at any rate!
sean Posted - Dec 11 2008 : 9:46:22 PM
I wasn't trying to be intense - what did you think was intense?

I was just trying to show you that what you think is useless was specifically requested by other users. Useless to you is different than useless to others. Not trying to make a big deal out of it and not trying to be defensive about anything I may or may not have had a hand in.

Now I think we need to clarify something; there is a difference between the VAViewFIS/SIS commands and the controls in the VAView that they lead to. The two FIS/SIS listboxes in VAView existed long before we exposed the individual commands to directly access them from the IDE. The commands were added much later due to specific requests from users that wanted to be able to replace the keybindings for the dialogs to instead open the lists (not that I work that way - I prefer the dialogs).

As far as item 4 being indicative of uselessness of the FIS/SIS lists, note that the arrow keys do work as expected, so I assume more people use arrow keys in lists than page keys.

Also, note that item 1, 2 and 5 are all about problems in the recent item list. If the number of bugs you reported are indicative of anything being useless, it would be the recent item list rather than the SIS list that is useless. But I'm not arguing that the number of bugs is indicative of uselessness...

And I'm not trying to be combative or intense or anything - but maybe I am that way without necessarily trying!
netics Posted - Dec 11 2008 : 8:38:01 PM

Wow. Sean, intense reaction. It seems that you made the VAViewFIS/SIS feature.

I was certain that the commands' uselessness is proved by being no report of item 4, and no programmers around me don't use it.

anyway, you may know better than me.

It's good news that recent item list will be greatly power-up-ed.

I will expect it.

Thx.
sean Posted - Dec 11 2008 : 02:31:03 AM
The VAViewFIS and VAViewSIS commands were added because we received a number of complaints from people that don't use Open File in Solution and Find Symbol in Solution!

I disagree about the essence of VAView. The essence of VA View is the class browser. The recent items list is the one piece of VA View that we've been considering changing radically.

At any rate, I've opened a feature request for a direct access command to the recent items list. case=21626
netics Posted - Dec 10 2008 : 9:18:23 PM
about item 3.

it is strongly required.

many ppl use Open File in Solution and Find Symbol instead of VAViewFIS/VAViewSIS.

so this two shortcuts are nearly useless.

Therefore, VA View doesn't have any unique features except recent modified method list.

it's the essence of VA View. other shortcut + tab is not fair for it.

about item 5.

you may reproduce it while repeating to do "double click" or "right click and select goto" on a recent method entry
sean Posted - Dec 10 2008 : 03:46:09 AM
items 1, 2 -> case=21569

item 3 - do we really need a new command to put focus in the history list?

item 4 -> case=21570

item 5 -> case=21572

Would you be able to post some steps to reproduce item 5 - the different entries for the same method?
sean Posted - Dec 10 2008 : 02:56:09 AM
Some of us did want to abandon it!

That said, no one has ever reported any of these issues before.

1. True of the recent items list. The class browser part of va view handles the context menu command properly.

2. True of the recent items list. The class browser works as expected.

3. VAAssistX.VAView was the first command we had - it simply displays the toolwindow. This command is displayed in the menubar at VAssistX|Tools|Va View. VAAssistX.VAViewFIS was added later and it differs from the first in that it drops the files list. The first command when originally implemented left focus in a bad state - it was later addressed by placing focus in the file combo (without dropping the list). We could add a VAssistX.VAViewHistory - however you can tab from files, to symbols, to history to class, etc.

4 - 5. Agree

Our bug system is down at the moment, so I'll have to remember to open cases later and note the case numbers here.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000