Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Include source file in hover information

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
grandchain Posted - Dec 17 2008 : 08:51:35 AM
Hi,

I often find myself hovering over a function or macro (C++) to try to find out which file it is defined in. This information isn't there, so I have to click on the symbol and then go to definition.

It would be really nice if the tooltip could include the header file(s) it's defined in as well as the prototype and header comment.

Cheers,

Ian
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
grandchain Posted - Jan 28 2009 : 04:09:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by support

case=226 is implemented in build 1715
Hover over an unrecognized symbol and choose "Add include xxxx" from the refactoring context menu.

That's brilliant, thanks. I've got 1715 installed now so I'll give it a try.

Cheers,

Ian
support Posted - Jan 27 2009 : 10:23:15 PM
case=226 is implemented in build 1715
Hover over an unrecognized symbol and choose "Add include xxxx" from the refactoring context menu.

grandchain Posted - Dec 19 2008 : 6:20:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

We are working on a feature to suggest the required #include statement for a given symbol:

Excellent!

quote:

The comments in tooltips, what do you mean by extended? Do you simply mean adding the file name, or do you mean that you have cases where there are comments that are not showing up?

Just adding the file name, as in the first post.

Thanks,

Ian
feline Posted - Dec 19 2008 : 11:26:47 AM
We are working on a feature to suggest the required #include statement for a given symbol:

case=226

which should help here

The comments in tooltips, what do you mean by extended? Do you simply mean adding the file name, or do you mean that you have cases where there are comments that are not showing up?
grandchain Posted - Dec 19 2008 : 02:23:30 AM
> Is this because you want to add a #include to make the code work?

That's usually it. I've used a function, VisualAssist has helped me get the name right, but I can't remember which of the many headers it's hiding in and now the compiler's complaining...

> VA will show you comments in tooltips if you turn on:
> VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Display comments from source files when available

That's what I'm already using and would like extended.

Cheers,

Ian
feline Posted - Dec 18 2008 : 12:33:31 PM
VA will show you comments in tooltips if you turn on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Display comments from source files when available

Out of interest why do you want to know which file something is defined in? Is this because you want to add a #include to make the code work? Or some other reason?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000