Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 call graphs

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dinkai Posted - Apr 29 2009 : 10:40:05 AM
Hi, any chance of adding a feature to generate visual graphs such as called by from a function, or a graph breaking down every call and sub call in a function?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 18 2009 : 7:42:43 PM
I am confused. I have just run this command, in VS2005, on a simple function and I am getting this:

this is very different to the information returned by Find References.
dinkai Posted - May 08 2009 : 09:52:26 AM
Hi, the feature in vs2005 you are describing generates the same thing as find references. It does not generate an actual graph/chart.

Thanks
AdrianS Posted - Apr 30 2009 : 4:10:29 PM
The Call Browser feature referred to by Feline is also in VS2005. Have you tried that?
dinkai Posted - Apr 30 2009 : 2:26:04 PM
We're currently using VS2005 for all C++ development. Find references does surprisingly well. At the very least if it's results could be translated into a visual graph representation that would be a great start.
feline Posted - Apr 30 2009 : 1:01:34 PM
Which IDE are you using?

There are a lot of edge cases with trying to produce a call graph from the source code alone. Also there are times when you can only construct an accurate call graph by running the code and seeing what happens, making it more of a debugger / code profiler action.

How close does Find References come to doing what you want?
dinkai Posted - Apr 29 2009 : 3:36:45 PM
I doubt our studio will upgrade to 2008 for a couple of years. That being said, would that feature in VS2008 produce a call graph on par in terms of completeness with Understand C++ or what visual assist could potentially do? Thanks anyways

Cheers
feline Posted - Apr 29 2009 : 1:19:26 PM
VS2008 has:

IDE View menu -> Other Windows -> Call Browser

which sounds like it should do what you want.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000