Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 [How To]Telling Visual Assist about your file ext

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GroovyGregory Posted - May 28 2009 : 04:54:31 AM
In case you are using custom file extensions for languages that Visual Assist already knows, f. ex. .xul which is normal XML, you can tell VA how to treat that file type.

Therefor you need to change some values in your registry. All VA options can be found at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Whole Tomato\\Visual Assist X\

Find the folder that represents your Visual Studio version ((VANet8, VANet9, etc.) and add your
extensions to the registry entries that start with Ext.

For the XUL-example, it could look like this:

"ExtXml"=".xml;.xul;"

Cheers!

p.s. *arg* maybe this is the wrong forum for this. @moderators: move this thread wherever it suits you best :)
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 08 2009 : 2:23:20 PM
This is a fair point, I have added a new FAQ entry

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W353
GroovyGregory Posted - May 28 2009 : 2:24:48 PM
I knew, it was already there, but i think it was not general enough. Adding custom extensions for C++ seems to involve more steps. Also, the FAQ sounded as if it was only possible for C++.
I just looked by incident into the registry to find out about the other ExtXX keys. ;)

I just posted it here to make it clear how to do it for EVERY language that is supported.

I think, you should rewrite the FAQ to make this clearer or add a new FAQ about custom extensions for supported languages in general.

Thank you! :)
feline Posted - May 28 2009 : 12:24:33 PM
The complete answer for custom C / C++ extensions is already in our FAQ, if you know where to look for it

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W328

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000