Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Optional Delay for all Pop ups

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shirst Posted - Jun 09 2009 : 8:13:00 PM
Hi,

My biggest gripe about VAX is that I frequently find myself fighting with the suggestion lists (any of them) while typing. It would be great if there was an optional delay before popping up any suggestions (I would set it to 2 seconds+).

An example - I'll be typing a statement, a suggestion pops up, since I'm typing I select something by accident, if I catch it in time I hit escape but then 1-3 chars later another suggestion pops up, I have to escape out of it, etc. Frequently I'll select suggestions by mistake when I just wanted to type. Couple that with developing in C++ and C++/CLI where frequently the suggestions are often well, not useful, and this gets frustrating.

I guess I'd like to opt in to suggestions (by waiting).

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Aug 04 2010 : 5:35:19 PM
"Selections committed with" behavior for member lists is now configurable under VA Options | Advanced | Listboxes. (case=9369), implemented in build 1829.
sean Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 8:49:00 PM
Are you seeing "Suggestion from surrounding code" while in members lists (after a '.' or '::' or '->')?

I haven't been able to get a "suggestion from surrounding code" that also has "Accept with tab or enter" while I have commit with tab and enter both unchecked (in build 1727). You might try it out:
http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

(possibly related to case=26616 or case=28032)
shirst Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 4:52:23 PM
I'm running VC++ 2008 on Vista 64 bit fyi. Mixed C++/CLI and MFC C++ code. And a little C# :)

shirst Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 4:47:55 PM
Ok I'll try to come up with examples.

One issue - Enter commits the suggestion even when only Tab is selected in Selections committed with. The tooltip also says "Suggestion from surrounding code. Accept with <TAB> or <ENTER>". That causes accidental selections. This was broken before but I thought it had been fixed.

I just trying deselecting Tab as well and both Enter and Tab still commit. If that mode worked it might fix the issue.

I'm running 10.5.1724.0

Thanks,
Steve
sean Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 4:31:31 PM
We'd like to fix situations like this where you wrote: "Frequently I'll select suggestions by mistake when I just wanted to type."

Can you go into a little more detail about what is happening there? This might be a bug depending upon what is happening.
shirst Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 4:22:44 PM
Yes I only have Selections committed with -> Tab selected. And to be clear; I'm not complaining about bad suggestions; this is a C++ app after all.

How about a right-click option for suggestions when Include suggestions in listboxes is turned off? That would be perfect; a manual suggestion mechanism.

Thanks,
Steve
sean Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 3:43:56 PM
Also look to see if you have VA Options | Advanced | Listboxes | "Any character not valid in a symbol" checked. That can be annoying. Also the next build has some fixes for cases where stale/bad suggestions were being offered.
feline Posted - Jun 12 2009 : 3:06:30 PM
You may want to just turn off VA suggestions:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> Include suggestions in listboxes

which should help. Suggestions are VA's best guess, but since they are a guess they can move from brilliant to terrible, and back again quite quickly

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000