Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 C#: Different colors for Reference/Value types

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tugudum Posted - Oct 20 2009 : 3:16:18 PM
It would be nice to give different colors to, for one, structs and classes. The reason is that structs are value types and therefore, assignment operations copy the content of the struct whereas for classes, assignments only copy the reference to the object.
The different colors would help make things more obvious, as we are currently forced to check if we are using a struct or class to know the behavior of an assignment or parameter passing.

Then maybe immutable objects could be looked into also.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Nov 04 2009 : 6:07:27 PM
As you may already know, tooltips can also be used to verify the type of a symbol. It is useful if you prefer using the mouse.
accord Posted - Nov 03 2009 : 6:49:56 PM
Are you aware that you can check the type of a symbol by placing the caret over it?

So it will be shown in the definition field as you can see on the screenshot.
This method can be used on any type or object. Maybe it is a little slower, but adding more colors can be disturbing and we would need a lot of colors to represent every important aspect. Recognizing a color may be faster, but definition field is universal.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000