Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Disabling parser while building

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
zhango Posted - Nov 11 2009 : 04:25:46 AM
Hi, thanks for a great tool. Here's an idea that would make it even better(at least for me). Would it be possible to add an option to disable the file parsing while VS is building the solution? Currently the parsing accesses the harddrive quite a lot causing the build to slow down dramatically. I recently built one single .cpp file(about 1000 lines of code) while the parser was active. This took 7:54 minutes! When the parsing was done the same build took 32 seconds.

Again, thanks for a great tool!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zhango Posted - Nov 13 2009 : 03:17:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

*ah* in this case I suspect you have:

VA Options -> Performance -> Parse all files when opening a project

turned on. If so VA is doing exactly what you told it to do.

Are you updating and building from some form of script? If so you could simply turn off this option before loading the IDE, by setting the following registry key:

registry key "FastProjectOpen2"=dword:00000001

via the script. 1 turns off this feature, 0 turns it on.

I'll try that and will report back if my problem persists.
Thanks
feline Posted - Nov 12 2009 : 1:56:05 PM
*ah* in this case I suspect you have:

VA Options -> Performance -> Parse all files when opening a project

turned on. If so VA is doing exactly what you told it to do.

Are you updating and building from some form of script? If so you could simply turn off this option before loading the IDE, by setting the following registry key:

registry key "FastProjectOpen2"=dword:00000001

via the script. 1 turns off this feature, 0 turns it on.
zhango Posted - Nov 11 2009 : 2:46:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Can you try disabling the IDE's parser and see if this makes any difference?

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

VA's parser should not be doing anything during a build, unless the build process is modifying code files. If you have just been editing, and then triggered a build VA might need to parse your file changes, but this should only take a couple of seconds, at most.

7+ minutes, this sounds like the IDE's parser has decided a header file has been changed and decided to reparse a good chunk of the solution.

The IDE's parser was one of the first things I disabled when we started using VS 2005 and VS 2008 so it should not be the cause of the problem.

The problem for me is when I've updated the source code from Clear Case and start the IDE to immediately do the build. In this case VA is still parsing the changes. Since we have about 50 projects in our solution with about 1.2 million lines of code it can take a while for the parsing to finish.
feline Posted - Nov 11 2009 : 11:06:14 AM
Can you try disabling the IDE's parser and see if this makes any difference?

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

VA's parser should not be doing anything during a build, unless the build process is modifying code files. If you have just been editing, and then triggered a build VA might need to parse your file changes, but this should only take a couple of seconds, at most.

7+ minutes, this sounds like the IDE's parser has decided a header file has been changed and decided to reparse a good chunk of the solution.
znakeeye Posted - Nov 11 2009 : 05:01:11 AM
This is HIGHLY wanted. During build, the parser should sleep! The delays have been bothering me for quite some time now...

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000