Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Intellisense dropdown consistency

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ransico Posted - Dec 20 2009 : 10:15:00 PM
While really handy, the VA intellisense dropdown seems to re-order itself as you type a word. One example from my codebase, is when typing 'namespace'. Please see the attached screenshot... depending on how far you get into typing the keyword, the matches in the dropdown change. Due to hand/eye latency, this often results in me choosing the incorrect result which negates any benefit that the dropdown provides.

In this example, you will notice that 'namespace' completely disappears from the dropdown in the 4th screen.

I am not sure how you could fix this, but perhaps at least a review of how it chooses its items?

- Lewis
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
khb Posted - Dec 23 2009 : 02:51:31 AM
Hi feline,

didn't know that. Just added the registry entry. Thanks for the hint!

Regards
Marcus
feline Posted - Dec 22 2009 : 11:22:44 AM
ransico, at the risk of sounding difficult, what happens in the following situation. You type "n" and the selected item is "name". You then continue typing to get "no". We cannot keep "name" the selected item, since it is no longer in the listbox. This is an extreme, but simple example of our best guess changing quite a bit as you keep on typing.

I am very happy to discuss this, it would be good if we could think of a way to improve the listbox behaviour. I am just not sure what to suggest myself.

khb I have some good news for you, you can stop the listbox from resizing on movement with the following registry key:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W365
khb Posted - Dec 22 2009 : 10:28:55 AM
I have a very similar problem. Sometimes I start typing a word and the dropdown list shows up with lets say two entries. Then I want to use the cursor down key to move to the second entry in the dropdown list. After pressing the cursor key for the first time the dropdown list expands to lets say seven entries. This is distracting, too.

Regards
Marcus
ransico Posted - Dec 21 2009 : 6:58:52 PM
Hiya,

Thanks for the reply; you are correct on all accounts that it is indeed the VA suggestions box, and that namespace is further down the list.

I guess my main complaint would be that in the fourth dropdown, namespace isn't selected. I guess the idea would be to, by default, select any item that was selected in the dropdown for the previous suggestion.

Unfortunately, simply adding namespace would not work for me, this set of screenshots simply highlights one of many cases - this is a common issue for me.

Thanks,
Lewis
feline Posted - Dec 21 2009 : 10:51:08 AM
These are screen shots of a VA suggestion listbox. VA is trying to guess what you are typing, and every time you type a letter the guesses change, as we have more information to work with. These listboxes can be incredibly useful, but as you see, a result of constantly updating the guesses is that the listbox content is quite fluid.

In the 4th screen shot is that a hint of a scroll bar I can just see on the right hand edge? If it is, then it is possible that "namespace" was still in the listbox, but it was not actually visible.

If "namespace" is a keyword you often type then adding or updating a VA Snippet for "namespace" might help. Then when you type the correct shortcut "namespace" should always be the selected item in the listbox:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vasnippets.asp

I know this is not a general fix, but I am not sure how we could change the listbox behaviour to improve it.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000