Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Doxygen support

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kawazoe Posted - Dec 21 2009 : 6:26:02 PM
I'd love to see intellisense support for doxygen command. This would imply detection of doxygen comments, support for command completion that use file, class, function, etc. as parameters. Also, some kind of basic snippet to quickly create a param comment block with name of the parameters already filled from the selected method.

I think you get the idea. Every doxygen user would love it.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Apr 23 2010 : 12:52:05 AM
Build 1822 has further improvements:
- Works in vs2003 and vc6
- It now copies more of the whitespace from the current line to the new line
- It doesn't kick in at the end of lone single line comments
sean Posted - Apr 14 2010 : 2:18:53 PM
I see - yes, that does bite. I've made a note of the issue but getting into fixing the auto-format command is a hairy path that we aren't likely to get into for quite awhile.

You might want to look into a dedicated 3rd party source code formatter. Some are listed here:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W147
laviolettea Posted - Apr 14 2010 : 09:47:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by sean
The third item isn't clear. Are you saying that you run Alt+F8 on block comments and don't like the results?

An Example:
Before Format

/*
 *   This is a list
 *      - A
 *      - B
 */

After Format

/*
*   This is a list
*      - A
*      - B
*/

Notice the trailing lines move left to align with the first line.

I sometimes need to run format on a whole file to fix format problem, it would be nice to not have the format change I prefer

/*
 */

but don't use it because the auto-format will mess with it, I general my style follows what the auto-format will correctly do.
sean Posted - Apr 13 2010 : 9:44:46 PM
We'll try this out in the next build:
Lone // line comments will not be autoextended (unless splitting the line as per the example above).

// line comments will be autoextended when there are two or more lines with the same amount of whitespace at the start.
sean Posted - Apr 13 2010 : 8:20:35 PM
Copying the whitespace from the current line to the new line makes sense.

Enter at the end of // comments needs a change. It doesn't make sense to exclude // comments entirely, because it is helpful inside of multi-line blocks and when splitting a single line into two lines:
// comment1
// comment2<break here to add another comment within the block>
// comment3

// a long comment that goes on <break here to split line>and on and on and on

The third item isn't clear. Are you saying that you run Alt+F8 on block comments and don't like the results?
laviolettea Posted - Apr 13 2010 : 1:11:11 PM
This is a really good start. I will continue to use this feature, but I have some initial comments

- Can you maintain the indent level of the previous line inside the comment block for example

/*
 *   This is a list
 *      - A
 *      - B
 */

If would be nice if I hit [enter] after the -B the edit would automatically indent to the same column as - B

- Can you configure it to only Extend comments for specific comment types. For example my personal style is to use // for single line comments above a line of code, and I am quickly getting frustrated with always backspacing the // after I add a comment.

- The default extend comment style for C comments (/* */) is to place the * below the the * leaving a space. This causes a problem with the auto-format (Alt-F8) that moves the * lines under the /. Can you provide configuration for extension form or fix the auto-format to keep the block comment aligned correctly (I expect this could be very complicated).
sean Posted - Apr 12 2010 : 12:23:39 PM
We took a stab at case=39838 in build 1819 but it is incomplete and disabled by default.

To give it a try, exit Visual Studio and use regedit to modify the binary registry entry named "ExtendCommentsOnNewline" from the default of 00 to 01.

It only has effect in c/c++/c#/vb code. Preliminary testing has been done in VS2005/2008/2010. VS2003 was not tested, and VC6 support is incomplete.

I think it works as expected within /* */ comments.

It also works with // and ' comments which is nice if you have a long comment that you want to break into two lines. However, it also extends the comment if you press enter at the end of the line. I'm not really sold on that behavior.

Thanks for any feedback.
feline Posted - Feb 16 2010 : 8:56:17 PM
We are considering updating Document Method so it won't add a return line when the function does not return anything:

case=1755

Word wrapping comments, this is something else we are considering doing at some point in the future:

case=3866

For now the VA option / feature:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> Display indicator after column

is designed to help with this.

Indenting when you press Enter, this is controlled by the IDE options for code indenting.

Having VA add a * if you are inside a /* */ comment makes sense, I have put in a feature request for this:

case=39838
laviolettea Posted - Feb 15 2010 : 4:31:24 PM
I did not know about the document method options it works great but I have a few additional features that would be useful

* Not all method have a return, can I setup the snippet to not include the return line if the method is void.
* We need to word wrap all doc comments at 80 characters could an option be added to automatically do this, and re-wrap after an edit. A general wrap method would be useful in other places also.
* All my doc comment block lines are prefixed by *, can VA automatically add a * and indent to the current level when I hit enter.
accord Posted - Jan 19 2010 : 3:46:23 PM
I have good news. Snippets starting with special characters are also working in comments. So you just need to create some snippet for keywords like \\warning. I created a snippet for \\warning for test with keyword \\w and works like a charm:

Anyway, other snippets (starting with character a-z) and even normal suggestions can be used in comments if you press ctrl+space. I like this feature very much, since using a variable in a comment is perfectly normal, and maybe even more frequent when one use doxygen.
PSyton Posted - Jan 19 2010 : 04:10:48 AM
accord
I think that Kawazoe means not only "document method"...
It would be nice If VAX could highlight doxygen keywords inside comments. Providing a default set of doxygen keywords suggestions would be nice too. (\\note \\warning \\breaf and so on).
peterchen Posted - Jan 15 2010 : 11:14:02 AM
Here's my snippet for "Refactor Document method":

// ----- $SymbolContext$ -----------------
/// 
/// \\param $MethodArgName$ ($MethodArgType$): 
/// \\returns ($SymbolType$):

accord Posted - Dec 21 2009 : 8:36:51 PM
I don't really understand your request. Would you like VA suggestions in comments with doxygen commands and with filenames, classnames, functionnames?

quote:
Also, some kind of basic snippet to quickly create a param comment block with name of the parameters already filled from the selected method.

We already have such a functionality: right click on a function name and select Refactor (VA X) -> Document Method

Also, we have a lot of VA snippet reserved strings, include them to expand the date, filename and more:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/vasnippets.asp

This is a description of VA snippets, and you can find the reserved strings on this page. For example, $FILE_BASE$ expands to Filename without path or extension.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000