Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Put context and definition fields in toolbar

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
yym Posted - Feb 15 2010 : 09:42:27 AM
I would like to put the context and definition fields of the navigation bar in a toolbar instead of in the window to give more width.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yym Posted - Feb 22 2010 : 03:53:25 AM
Code Definition Window? Yes, but it has the following problems:
1. It's based on intellisense, which has got completely lost in my project
2. It causes problems with VA Goto - see http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9369
3. It takes up valuable screen space, which a tooltip wouldn't.

I was really looking for a replacement. But actually, now that I've had it off for a few days, the only thing I miss from it is the name of the file the definition is in which VA doesn't normally give.

Maybe when we move to VS2010 I'll try it again, but that's certainly not going to be for some months.
accord Posted - Feb 22 2010 : 03:38:35 AM
Are you aware of Definition View in Visual Studio 2005/2008/2010? It does the same what you want and is greatly improved in VS2010.
yym Posted - Feb 21 2010 : 02:05:17 AM
The find editbox in the toolbar is resizable (choose customize, click on it to select it, then you can resize it).

A tooltip certainly would help. If you go in that direction, it might be nice to also show a few lines of context, (say two lines before and after the definition).
accord Posted - Feb 18 2010 : 3:15:55 PM
*ah* Now, I understand your situation. We are placing Navigation Bar above the IDE Navigation Bar for consistency. Placing these to a tooltip would require a loads of work and still wouldn't be able to resize them (see find editbox on the toolbar, it is not resizable).

I have discussed this internally, and one idea came up is to show a tooltip when you hover the mouse pointer over the bar and the content is cut. What do you think about this idea? Would it help?
yym Posted - Feb 18 2010 : 04:14:32 AM
I use the multiple document interface rather than the tabbed document interface, so that I can see multiple windows at a time. I keep each window just wide enough to see the code, and keep code lines fairly short (80-100 characters).

I noticed that the separator can be moved, but that still only gives enough room for fairly short definitions.
accord Posted - Feb 18 2010 : 03:57:45 AM
Interesting idea. Do you have a docked window which shrinks the editor window, and so the navigation bar? Or do you have very long stuffs to examine, or maybe both of these is true?

Are you aware that you can resize the left and the right part of the navigation window if you drag their separator line?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000