Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 fsiw-like window for string literals

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jmihalicza Posted - Mar 17 2010 : 05:31:38 AM
Use case:
1. A certain error message appeared either in a log or in a message box.
You want to find all the places that exact string is used in the code.
2. You don't remember the exact text, but know you are finding something like 'compilation error' 'compile error' etc.

For 1. a simple find would suffice, but for 2. it is very inconvenient to shoot searches for all your guesses.
Also in 1. it can happen that the text you were reading had been put together from parts in the code ("%s occurred during %s").
In a window like fsiw you could check many hypotheses, easily finding the solution.

Additionaly, had that functionality available, one could have a quick overview of string usage in the whole project. It is a bit of static analysis, helps to decide whether to use string pooling, whether to use a string proxy instead of strcpying the literal etc.

L".." and all the new types of string literals in C++0x just make the issue more complicated.

I don't have exact imagination of the best presentation of the list, probably multiple usages of the same string literals should be displayed somehow grouped together.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
accord Posted - Mar 18 2010 : 4:33:44 PM
I have put in a feature request to see what the developers make of it:

case=41197

Rename can already search in strings and comments but it is actually a search so it does not require additional memory.

The situation you described can be enhanced by using regular expressions in find dialogs.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000