Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Extended File Handling Exclusion Ability

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ssh00 Posted - May 11 2010 : 1:53:41 PM
Our (large) company has a site wide VA license, and it's great (don't want to be specific as this is a public forum). One thing though, is that we have quite a few non-nonsensical generated source files that live in the solution, but that have no reason to be parsed/handled by VA. Any chance you could include regular expression support or similar to allow greater flexibility in excluding files?

Regards,
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 20 2011 : 5:39:37 PM
From the original forum thread, where the code was posted by the author (not me):

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5738

the code is "use at your own risk". Certainly it is not officially supported, but a few of our users have used it successfully. Hopefully this helps a little bit. It was not posted with any licence terms, but the code files may contain further information about this.
s_m Posted - Oct 20 2011 : 11:52:07 AM
Is there any license restrictions on http://forum.wholetomato.com/colin/forumimages/bugfix_ignore_directories.zip usage?
feline Posted - Jun 21 2011 : 10:08:24 AM
I am sorry to hear that. You might want to try and modify the file excluding tool to suit your situation for now. I know some of our users have successfully used it.
timour Posted - Jun 20 2011 : 1:08:53 PM
Well, unfortunately marker comments doesn't work... So we vote for case=27623 .
feline Posted - Jun 17 2011 : 1:20:22 PM
I did wonder if the marker comments would be enough when I re-read that thread, but I was not sure. It is certainly worth a try if this is something you can easily add to your pre-processor.
timour Posted - Jun 17 2011 : 10:30:48 AM
I highly appreciate your answer - VA_IGNORE_CODE_START & VA_IGNORE_CODE_END looks like something that can help us. We will check.
feline Posted - Jun 17 2011 : 10:10:21 AM
Thank you for the explanation, simply setting up a second solution without the modified code is probably not going to work so well here.

case=27623

should help here, since adding the ability to exclude entire directories is one of the features we are looking at.

A while ago one of our users wrote a tool to "hide" specific files from VA. Please note this is NOT officially supported, but it is still available.

There is some discussion of it in this forum thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8420

see my post on "May 22 2009", with the following link to the source code:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/colin/forumimages/bugfix_ignore_directories.zip

you would need to update the source code to match your situation, and compile it. There is some discussion in this forum thread about changes to the code to get it to work with more recent builds of VA.
timour Posted - Jun 16 2011 : 12:09:37 PM
Thanks for quick answer, feline. Let me explain more details and if you are able to propose good way around we will be grateful.
We have solution with thousands of C files. We use proprietary pre-processor which adds a lot of special code to these files before compilation. So we have original and instrumented (pre-processed) files. In debug-time we want to see and debug original (not pre-processed) files. So our pre-processor inserts #line directives everywhere and Visual Studio works correctly.

Main problem is with Find Symbol and Find References VA features. Find References is just slow, very slow... Because pre-processed files are big, much bigger than original. And in Find Symbol window the double click on symbol will move us to pre-processed file instead of original.

Possibility to exclude pre-processed files (or directories as we put it to separate folders) could solve all our problems. Let me know if you see another way.
feline Posted - Jun 16 2011 : 09:50:51 AM
Out of interest why do you need to exclude entire directories?

If you need to do this, have you considered setting up a separate "editing" solution, that only includes the directories that you want VA to know about and to parse? This may not work for you at all, but it is a possible way forward you could consider.
timour Posted - Jun 16 2011 : 08:08:27 AM
We use 68 licenses and for us this item is also extremely important - we need to be able to exclude files in specified directories (more general solution could be to use regexps or special file with the list of excluded files & directories). Could be great to know when we can expect to have it.
feline Posted - Sep 22 2010 : 12:57:42 PM
Unfortunately no progress yet, but this is down as a relatively high priority item.
s_m Posted - Sep 17 2010 : 05:16:35 AM
Any progress on that case?
accord Posted - May 27 2010 : 12:57:40 PM
Yes, we have a similar feature:

File Handling -> Extensions to ignore

but it is not the same: it only disables VA in these files, but the files are still parser.

However, we are considering improving the feature at some point to support filenames, wildcards and maybe directories:

case=27623

and to skip the parsing altogether.
s_m Posted - May 27 2010 : 11:29:10 AM
Agree, this would be realy a very usefull feature!

Aren't you already have a similar feature (File Handling>Extensions to ignore) ? Is it working? Can you just extend this feature to specify folders and filenames to ignore?
feline Posted - May 14 2010 : 11:14:03 AM
Approximately how long does it take to parse your solution? Unless you have a very large solution this should only take a couple of minutes.

Which IDE are you using?

It is possible a lot of this delay is actually the IDE's parser, not VA's. You might find this FAQ entry useful:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

VA is designed to parse all files that are part of your solution, so there is no feature to totally ignore some files in your solution. We are considering adding a filter to the Open File dialog, but that is not going to help with your performance problem here.
ssh00 Posted - May 13 2010 : 2:02:22 PM
Hi,

Not just in the file dialog, but the tool in it's entirety. It's more of a lack of efficiency, as I notice that VA is busily spending it's time parsing all of those generated source files where it could have just ignored them. The way our project is setup, this generated code amounts to about *half* the amount of source in our VS sln. Cutting the initial project parse time in half would be excellent for us.

Cheers,

quote:
Originally posted by feline

Are you just trying to exclude these files from VA's Open File dialog, or do you need something more?

What sort of problems are they causing you?

feline Posted - May 13 2010 : 1:09:15 PM
Are you just trying to exclude these files from VA's Open File dialog, or do you need something more?

What sort of problems are they causing you?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000