Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Scope ruler/guide-line

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
icStatic Posted - May 18 2010 : 5:56:27 PM
I would like to propose a new* feature that I've dubbed the 'scoped' ruler.

The general gist would be that when you select a line, it would display a guide line vertically across the screen at the left most non-whitespace character. This would make finding the top of longer code blocks easier.

There could be two modes for this:
*Scope based
*Whole file based

I've drawn some rough diagrams below:

This is an example of whole file mode:

This is an example of 'scoped' mode:

Thoughts?

* assuming my google foo is working
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 27 2010 : 8:25:13 PM
For going to the matching bracket, you already have the IDE command to jump to matching bracket, and VA's next and previous scope commands. I find both to be very useful.
HBTeun Posted - May 26 2010 : 07:11:35 AM
I would welcome that scope ruler. But in most cases would be to go to matching bracket.
feline Posted - May 22 2010 : 11:24:46 AM
The vertical lines have been discussed internally, but we are not sure about the utility of them for most users. I tried Code Kana myself, and had a problem that if you use tabs in your code, the caret could become "hidden" when it was sitting on top of one of these vertical guide lines.

Also VA's context and definition fields are designed to show you some scope information, to tell you something about where you are inside the current function, when the caret is in the white space at the start of a line.

In part it comes down to limited resorces, and lots of feature requests. We have to try and limit the ideas we want to add to VA somehow.
icStatic Posted - May 22 2010 : 10:47:05 AM
Thanks feline, I didn't know about Ctrl+] so that's very useful to know!

It's a shame you won't consider the feature above.

I will give Code Kana a go alongside VA when they add support for VS2010!

Cheers
feline Posted - May 20 2010 : 5:26:14 PM
GO to matching bracket is built into the IDE, try Ctrl+] this is the default keyboard shortcut for me.

Also have a look at:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/move.asp

For the display, we don't currently have any plans to try and do this, but you might want to have a look at:

http://www.codekana.com/
icStatic Posted - May 19 2010 : 09:28:56 AM
Sorry to double post, but on a similar note, a 'go to matching brace' function would also be useful!

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000