Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 {} Matching Ruler

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lehner Franz Posted - Jun 17 2010 : 4:22:27 PM
Hi

I am VERY happy with Visual Assist and i can not imagine how to work without it.
But a time ago, i have seen a very nice tool (slick edit gadget)
it has an ident guide

Indentation guide - Draws a vertical bar in the editor indicating the indentation level of the current line.

Yes, you can install Visual Assist and Slickedit for this, but both in combination result in a kind of Performance Fiasko.
Maybe this is a cool thing for an upcomming Version ?

http://www.slickedit.com/products/slickedit-gadgets
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jun 21 2010 : 2:09:37 PM
A very clear explanation of why this would help, thank you The picture of Notepad+ in action also helps. I have put in a feature request to see what our developers make of this:

case=46223
Lehner Franz Posted - Jun 18 2010 : 3:55:45 PM
I agree, as "it is not usual". It depends what you are doing.
If you code in c++ in small functions or so, where everything is abstracted, yes, then it is a clear "no need"
But in Real world, specially in fixing big projects, complex algos, working with tab==space=2, if() complexity down to 10 levels, -> then it gets really Crazy in finding where the "{" and the matching "}" is.
{} helps, but it is very hard to see.

Also the Coding style does affect this.

consider
if (whatever) {
}
else {
}
or
if (whatever)
{
}
else
{
}

so this ident guide is more like a "where is the end of this "{"" help to see it in 0.1 sec specially when this {} combination is > 40 lines and you have to scroll down.

Actually i am usually parking the mouse cursor on it and scrolling down with the wheel to find the matching end.
So the ident guide is very helpful, as it automatically parks a "ruler" on this position and i can better scroll down.

So i see this as a basic enhancement, but maybe there are better ideas for this ... who knows
But this is very useful.
Notepad++ has a simelar idea behind -- i attached an image .. maybe this is a useful way

feline Posted - Jun 18 2010 : 1:44:24 PM
Out of interest how do you find this marker at the indentation level helpful?

Thinking about my own coding, I am not sure how it would actually help me.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000