Whole Tomato Software Forums
Whole Tomato Software Forums
Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Suggestions selecting after key press (or auto)

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nitz Posted - Aug 04 2010 : 11:35:27 PM
I wasn't quite sure to attempt to report this as a bug, or just suggest it as a feature, but just decided to post it here.

The issue I'm having (or feature I'm requesting?) is that after a single key press, the suggestion that was previously displayed vanishes, even if the key I pressed was part of that suggestion.

An example: In VS2010, C#:

The last key I pressed was space, and was presented with:

That's exactly the suggestion I want. I'd love to hit Enter to accept this (pressing enter to accept a suggestion is something I'd classify as a 'feature request'), but my only options are to press Tab, or press down, then enter.

However, I'm usually a pretty hasty typer, and wouldn't have seen that suggestion until I'm two or three characters into typing 'new'. Since I was going to type what was being suggested anyways, why wouldn't it keep that suggestion (and henceforth highlight it), rather than presenting me with:

It's still there, but I have to hit up to get to it!

I press the next character, still hoping It'd highlight the suggestion, and I get:

Well, that's closer. I do still want to type "new", but if I accept this one(with enter or tab), and add a space, I'm left at:

Basically back to square one, I'm forced to hit Tab to accept, when I'd love to just tap enter, or any non-symbol character. (In this case, "(" would be lovely!)

Even if I start typing 'list' (partially or the whole word, I end up with:

I'm still forced to press <TAB> to accept it, rather than have it highlight it (or really any suggestion?) as I'm typing matching characters.

C#'s default intellisense doesn't get me the 'new', but after I type new and space, I get:

Which I can accept by pressing return, or any of the characters defined in the IDE settings. (Parens, brackets, ., space, etc)

My ideal behavior would be to type:

"List<string> steve = " [typing nothing or any amount of "new List<.."]
and then be able to press any non-symbol key to accept the suggestion of "new List<string>"

Perhaps I'm just misinterpreting how suggestions are supposed to work?

Thanks guys! Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
-Nitz

(Oh, for what it's worth, I'm using build 1829 on VS2010 Professional, on Win7x86. No other VS addons installed! )
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Sep 20 2010 : 10:10:50 PM
case=48521 and case=48374 are fixed in build 1832
nitz Posted - Aug 09 2010 : 3:15:15 PM
Thanks again for the fast reply, and for your help! :)
feline Posted - Aug 09 2010 : 3:13:16 PM
Odd, I am seeing the same thing here:

case=48521

I would expect the registry key to give these listboxes full focus, but obviously that is not happening.
nitz Posted - Aug 05 2010 : 9:21:32 PM
Thanks for the crazy fast reply!

I tried editing that registry key, and it still is behaving the same. (The key didn't exist, so I had to create it.) Perhaps this is because of VS2010 or it's changed in a build?

Still seeing:

Thanks so much!
-Nitz
feline Posted - Aug 05 2010 : 9:06:12 PM
I am seeing the same problem with listbox focus when calling "Add" on the ListBox.Items :

case=48374

This only happens for me if I have:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C# -> IntelliSense -> IntelliSense pre-selects most recently used members

turned On.

Your first post, here you are mainly dealing with VA suggestion listboxes. You can tell VA to make sure that these always have focus:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W350

which might help. Suggestions's are just VA's "best guess", and these guesses change as you type, which is why the listbox content changes.
nitz Posted - Aug 05 2010 : 02:36:54 AM
I found another spot where it's VAX's behavior fights with the default parsers, I believe.

In a C# winforms project, given:

private void f()
{
}

Add:
ListBox l;

Then, on the next line, you can type:
l.ite<--return adds "Items"-->

Then:
.<--return adds "Add()"-->

Try that on the line after, doing the same thing... The suggestion (after the period after Items) is there, but it's not selected, and I'd have to hit <TAB> to accept it. Further, if I delete the line, and try typing it again, the behavior of that first entry is long gone, and it only operates with the non-selected suggestion like I described before. I can't seem to tweak any of the settings to get it to behave like that first entry.

Cheers!
-Nitz

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000