Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Peek and/or Go Back Companion to Alt+G

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jase439 Posted - Nov 19 2010 : 01:18:25 AM
Hello,

I frequently find myself using the Goto function to "visit" different source files when the context provided by tooltips does not suffice. More often than not, I am using Goto to explore how something is implemented or how it was intended to be used. However, when I'm done with this task I want to "Go Back" to where I was last editing without having to visit the Open Documents drop down or Window menu or various ALT+## hotkeys. More often than not I use Goto as a temporary "drill down" function when the intention, most of the time, is to return back to the original edit position and resume coding. Such a feature would retain the users last N Goto history until they do something to navigate away or change the editor context (manually switch windows, start editing, etc.) The behavior is analogous to the forward/back behavior in most modern browsers.

Alternatively, it might be nice to have a "Peek" button which performs similarly to Goto except that the target document is visible only while the button is depressed and, when released, returns the client back to the current edit position.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this has been requested before or maybe there is already something in VS2K8 which provides something similar but I haven't found it (if so, please illuminate).

Thanks!

J
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Nov 22 2010 : 12:49:48 PM
There is quite a lot to know, both about the IDE's and VA This link might help you bind the commands to the mouse buttons:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/578675/assign-mouse-buttons-in-visual-studio-2008

The VA back and forward command names, in the IDE Keyboard mapping options node, are:

VAssistX.NavigateBack
VAssistX.NavigateForward
jase439 Posted - Nov 20 2010 : 01:03:16 AM
This is great. Thanks! I clearly need to spend more time in the user guide. I didn't even know those buttons existed. Maybe I can map my forward/back buttons on my mouse to ALT <- and ALT -> respectively.
feline Posted - Nov 19 2010 : 12:02:39 PM
Personally to go back after Alt-G I normally just use Alt+Left Arrow, to take me back to where I was before the Alt-G. This is using VA's navigate back command:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/navigate.asp

You might also find the Most Recently Used list, in the top half of VA View helpful here, especially if you set it to include modified files or modified methods.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/mru.asp

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000