Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Find References - C# (expr is type varname) issue

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tam�si D�nes Posted - May 27 2020 : 11:02:49 AM
In C#, you can do this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/keywords/is#type-pattern

For example:

object variable;
if(variable is SomeType sometype)
{
   sometype.MemberFunc(); // use - VA Find References will not work from here - BUG
}

Of course, you should declare and define the class, and the member function somewhere:

class SomeType
{
   public void MemberFunc(){} // declaration - VA Find References will work from here of course
}

But, if you try to 'Find References' for the MemberFunction with Visual Assist, it will work properly only if do it from the *declaration. If you do it from the *use, you will get the following window:
"Find References is not available because the symbol is unrecognized."

If you use the next syntax, it also work fine:

if(variable is SomeType)
{
   SomeType sometype = (SomeType) variable;
   sometype.MemberFunction(); // VA Find References will work!
}
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 27 2020 : 12:34:20 PM
I am seeing the same effect here. Thank you for the clear description.

case=142305

As a partial work around if you use Alt-G on "sometype" VA should take you back to the "if X is Y" line, and you can then quickly place the caret into the type, "SomeType" here, and use Alt-Shift-G, to bring up the Goto Related menu. The bottom item in this menu takes you to the "Members of..." dialog, which will give you a searchable list of all of the members of this type, and you can quickly run Find References from here, by selecting the item you want to find and pressing CTRL-F, or using the context menu.

Not quite the same, and since VA isn't handling this variable creation correctly the find results won't be perfect, but hopefully this will help.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000