Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Any character not valid in a symbol doesn't work

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
supercloud Posted - Sep 14 2005 : 04:52:45 AM
Accepting suggestions with any character not valid in a symbol doesn't work properly.
Sometimes the suggestions aren't accepted when a character is typed.
The character ":" has no effect at all.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Apr 14 2006 : 1:15:20 PM
Entries accepted with colon using build 1445.
support Posted - Dec 18 2005 : 09:24:02 AM
If you have an example of a suggestion not accepted, that does not look like a definition, you are welcome to describe it in another thread.

We are likely to continue offering suggestions when defining but accept them only with Enter.
supercloud Posted - Dec 15 2005 : 8:09:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by support

quote:
When you type function GetValue as follows:
int C
the suggestion listbox appears as usual, however, after typing ':', the suggestion "CTest" isn't accepted.

Given the first sentence of your Dec 14th post, are you saying now there is no problem?

It may have problem, however, some suggestions that are not variable definition aren't accepted.
quote:

this idea has come up before, but the problem is, VA does not know that i am defining a variable. i could be doing a function prototype, or just randomly typing a chain of thought only to clean up later on.

what you say makes sense, but it leads to suggestion boxes being accepted differently depending on VA's understanding of the context, and that is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

Maybe I should change the habit of writing this kind of code.
support Posted - Dec 15 2005 : 6:13:57 PM
quote:
int C
the suggestion listbox appears as usual, however, after typing ':', the suggestion "CTest" isn't accepted.

Given the first sentence of your Dec 14th post, are you saying now there is no problem?
feline Posted - Dec 15 2005 : 5:58:31 PM
this idea has come up before, but the problem is, VA does not know that i am defining a variable. i could be doing a function prototype, or just randomly typing a chain of thought only to clean up later on.

what you say makes sense, but it leads to suggestion boxes being accepted differently depending on VA's understanding of the context, and that is likely to cause more problems than it solves.
supercloud Posted - Dec 14 2005 : 8:36:11 PM
In my opinion, when defining a variable, the suggestion shouldn't be accepted with characters other than enter or tab key. In other cases the suggestion should be accepted with any character not valid in a symbol. Its behavior is just like that of the listbox except for defining variables. When a listbox is shown, the item is accepted when you type a character not valid in a symbole such as '(', '[', ' ', '=', and so on.
support Posted - Dec 14 2005 : 10:48:57 AM
We continue to grapple with this issue. It's more complicated than it seems. The question: do you want suggestions any time you might be defining a symbol? Usually VA X helps because it's annoying to type the following without suggestions (at least when you're used to VA X. How the rest of the world manages is a mystery):

int thisLongSymbolTakesLongToType = 1;
int thisLongSymbolTakesLongToTypeToo = 1;

With suggestions, the 2nd symbol requires only "t<tab>too"

Using only Tab or Enter to accept, ie not with other characters, avoids the problem when you want to define:

int t = 1;

on the next line. (VA X displays a suggestion and your space after t accepts it.)
support Posted - Dec 11 2005 : 10:56:04 AM
We should mention, as we have done other times, we are not fond of the "accept with any character" option. We implemented it primarily for users coming from other IDEs that offered something similar (VB???) We recommend getting in the habit of using Tab or Enter to accept suggestions. That said, the option should work.

and ...

We typically try to stay consistent with behavior in the IDE, or at least not wreak havoc by forcing people to change habits. In the case of "accept with space," we looked at vs2005 and its option in C# to "commit by pressing space." Unfortunately, space works sometimes and not others. Ugh.
support Posted - Dec 11 2005 : 10:31:02 AM
At first glance, not accepting with space seems to occur when you *might* be defining a symbol. Try:

int f

Space does not accept the suggested "false."

We'll test some more and check our code.
feline Posted - Oct 27 2005 : 6:29:38 PM
this has not yet been addressed by the developers. when it has been fixed this thread should be updated, telling you which version of VA contains the fix.
supercloud Posted - Oct 26 2005 : 12:08:10 AM
The problem persists in build 1428.

An example:

try typing the following code:

inline void

The first word "inline" is accepted after typing "inl" and pressing space key, but the second word "void" isn't accepted after typing "vo" and pressing space key.
feline Posted - Sep 17 2005 : 2:37:09 PM
confirmed with this example. the scope and preceding text both seem to matter

case=759

in my tests accepting with enter still worked, so i recommend using that when in doubt.
supercloud Posted - Sep 15 2005 : 9:38:50 PM
A simple example:

class CTest
{
public:
int GetValue();
protected:
private:
};

int C

If you type very quickly, this phenomenon will appear.
feline Posted - Sep 15 2005 : 5:01:28 PM
using VC6 with VA 1422 this works fine for me. completion listboxes (CTRL-SPACE) accept with ':' regardless of this setting, and suggestion listboxes (question mark icon) accept with ':' when this option is turned on.

is this in all files? any other plugins installed? are you using an English system, or a different language?
supercloud Posted - Sep 14 2005 : 10:09:54 PM
I have Visual C++ 6.0 and the latest build 1422 installed.
support Posted - Sep 14 2005 : 2:18:19 PM
What IDE do you have?

What programming language?

What build of VA X?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000