Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 ALT-G doesn't find cpp (VC6)

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
peterchen Posted - Feb 01 2007 : 06:06:54 AM
Since I upgraded to 1544, ALT-G frequently only finds the declaration, but not the implementation.

i.e. instead of showing me the popup menu with location, it goes straight to the declaration in the header. If I hit Alt-G on the header declaration itself, nothing happens.

When there are multiple locations in the header, I do get the popup menu, but again it doesn't include the .cpp file location.

I have the problem without templates, without namespaces, simple clas sin header and CPP. Alt-G never worked 100% reliably, but great enough. Now it almost never works. Help!

(VC8 was just again pushed back a month or two :()
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 01 2007 : 1:26:23 PM
*ah* that is good news!

I suspect you have "using namespace" lines in the problem cpp files, we have been doing some work with these in recent builds.
peterchen Posted - Feb 01 2007 : 1:03:17 PM
Sorry, disregard this.

I wanted to try uninstall/reinstall, and noticed that this PC (@work) was still at 1543.
I upgraded to 1544 and everything works perfectly :)

Soryy to bother you.
peterchen Posted - Feb 01 2007 : 12:49:26 PM
Yes, the effect is consistent. I also tried rebuild symbol databases, then close the IDE (three times now for different projects), still the bahavior persists.

Both .h and .cpp files are listed in VA View / Files in Workspace.

>> This suggests alt-g is not totally broken
I thought so much - because if it was as bad for everyone else as it was for me, the message boards would explode ;)

The weird thing is everything else works quite well - also refactoring is more robust for 'weird' cases, that's why I don't want to go back. It's just that little Alt-G

Maybe you have any suggestions I can try, I will do so, even if it's a shot in the dark.

feline Posted - Feb 01 2007 : 12:09:50 PM
"If I hit Alt-G on the header declaration itself, nothing happens." - this bothers me.

If you restart the IDE is this effect consistent?
Are both the .h and .cpp file part of the solution?
Are both files listed in OFIW?

I have just run some basic tests on alt-g here using VC6 and VA 1544 and I am not seeing any problems. This suggests alt-g is not totally broken, so why are you having these problems?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000