Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Display Indicator disappears

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jmoleary Posted - Jan 30 2020 : 12:04:47 PM
I always have VA set to show me a visual indicator after colummn 80. In other words I check this box:

Settings >> Display >> Display indicator after column [80] using [Black]

This works fine but from time to time I will sit down to edit and notice that the file I am editing does not show the column. So I go into VA Settings and uncheck this box and then re-check it and the column indicator reappears.

Now I've seen this for a few updates but I cannot pinpoint when it started because it is intermittent. And lately I've mostly been working on C# files if that matters.

This is really a minor thing but just occasionally annoying. I don't know how to reliably reproduce it.

VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2358.0 built 2019.12.19
DevEnv.exe version 16.4.29709.97 Community
msenv.dll version 16.0.29709.11
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.18362.592
Windows 10 10.0 1909 Build 18363.592
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jmoleary Posted - Feb 07 2020 : 10:12:21 AM
No, no other problems at all. I've been buying/renewing VA for at least 18 years. Probably longer but that is the oldest email receipt I have. I've never had a problem.
feline Posted - Feb 07 2020 : 08:44:15 AM
Agreed, this is minor, but I am a little concerned that it is a sign of something "bigger". If at first the display indicator stops being shown, will other things VA draws stop being shown later? Or is this specific, somehow, to the column indicator?

Have you noticed any sign of any other problems with VA, any display oddities?
jmoleary Posted - Feb 06 2020 : 12:57:20 PM
What the setups have in common is aside from VS 2019 16.4 and Visual Assist is not much. The other machine is an old Windows 7 box at work that is slow as molasses. The main machines I typically use (both home and work) are more modern Windows 10 boxes.

I'm starting to wonder if Visual Studio itself isn't somehow the culprit here. I don't recall ever seeing this on VS2012, 2013, 2015 or 2017, all of which I used until quite recently.

Either way, as "bugs" go this is about as minor as it gets. I debated even bothering to report it.

feline Posted - Feb 06 2020 : 08:41:16 AM
It is interesting that ReSharper is not a factor. Do you have any other extensions installed? I am wondering if there is anything obvious that the two machines have in common?

Are you aware of any form of a pattern for when this happens?
jmoleary Posted - Feb 05 2020 : 4:56:20 PM
Apologies for not replying sooner. I apparently don't have my account set to notify me when someone replies on this thread.

I should say, I just saw this again but this time on a machine that does not have Resharper installed so it is clearly not that. I was editing some C++ files at the time and it happened right in front of my eyes.

I will take a look at the visual studio plugin you linked to
feline Posted - Jan 31 2020 : 3:47:53 PM
Strange. I don't think anyone else has seen this problem either. I don't know ReSharper that well, but I am not immediately seeing mention of a similar feature of theirs you could use. Can you try this extension instead:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=PaulHarrington.EditorGuidelines

and see if it is more reliable for you?
jmoleary Posted - Jan 31 2020 : 11:23:43 AM
I just saw it again and I can confirm that yes, it *does* get fixed if I open up a new folder.
But if I then return to the previous file (without having closed it), *that* one still does not show it.
If I close the original file and re-open, it is also fixed.

So clearly it's quite transient.

It just now occurred to me: I am also simultaneously using ReSharper. I wonder if Resharper could be causing this. The problem is I can't make it happen reliably enough to see (and I really need to have Resharper enabled to get my work done)
feline Posted - Jan 30 2020 : 12:52:53 PM
When you notice this is missing, does it show up if you open a new file? Switch to a different file that is already open?

What about closing and reloading the current file?
Restarting the IDE?

I am trying to work out if this is being lost in the current file, the setting is not being respected, or something else might be going on.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000