Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Find Reference takes ages...

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MrJones4u Posted - Jun 23 2021 : 09:12:44 AM
Hello,
just recently I have been getting massive amounts of "VA: Creating instance of template std:..." virtually every time I use the find reference command staling the operation for minutes. To my horror I find myself using F3 more and more...

I have seen multiple similar entries for this situation but these are all a while back and should have been resolved since but these cases do not seem to contain any "solution".

Any ideas?
Thanks,
cu,
Michael

VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2399.0 built 2021.01.26
DevEnv.exe version 16.10.31410.357 Enterprise
msenv.dll version 16.0.31410.357
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.19041.844
Windows 10 10.0 2009 Build 19043.1052
24 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x407

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\NETFXSDK\4.8\Include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\cppwinrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Auxiliary\VS\UnitTest\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.19041.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Auxiliary\VS\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Visual Leak Detector\include;
N:\myProjects\vsmStudio2011\development\libraries\Ember SDK\libtranscoder\Headers;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.19041.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Auxiliary\VS\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\crt\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\atlmfc\src\mfc;

19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 14 2021 : 10:54:31 AM
That you, that is useful to know, and suggests that this has been fixed by a fix to our parser. So hopefully this problem will stay fixed for you.
MrJones4u Posted - Jul 14 2021 : 08:42:39 AM
I had done that when I first started noticing the behavior with no success...
feline Posted - Jul 14 2021 : 07:01:07 AM
Thank you for the update. It could be that a VA symbol database fixed the problem, installing a new build triggers this automatically. Alternatively it could be a VA fix to our parser.

If the problem comes back again can you please try pressing the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restart your IDE, to see if this fixes the problem? This should only take a few minutes, unless you have a really massive solution.
MrJones4u Posted - Jul 14 2021 : 03:11:12 AM
Interessing, I just updated to 10.9.2406.0 and on first glance the effect is gone...
I will keep you updated.
feline Posted - Jul 08 2021 : 12:20:51 PM
I completely understand. I wish I could do more to help, but without some form of test case to have a look at, I am not sure how to try and reproduce this problem.

Sharing code is normally not possible, but if it did turn out to be possible, you could send me code to look at, to try and find the trigger, and it would only be used for testing purposes, to pin down and hopefully fix this problem. Just in case this offer helps.
MrJones4u Posted - Jul 08 2021 : 05:50:42 AM
I'm still on this... work is getting in the way...
feline Posted - Jul 02 2021 : 07:58:58 AM
Thank you for checking that, clearly something is broken here. Hopefully we can get it fixed fairly quickly.

If it helps, you can email me and we can discuss the Find References problem via email, rather than the forum. I actively monitor both, so in that sense it doesn't make much difference. Just use the email:

[email protected]

and if you include this thread ID or URL in the description we can match it up and pick up where we left of.
MrJones4u Posted - Jul 02 2021 : 01:31:29 AM
Actually, none at all. And even the "Click to send an E-Mail" in profile did not yield an email.
feline Posted - Jul 01 2021 : 11:40:52 AM
Are you getting any emails at all from the forum, or only sometimes? A little while ago I looked into a report that forum registration emails weren't coming through, but when I tested it, I got the email as expected.

Having said that, I am not noticing any recent forum emails either...

case=145901
MrJones4u Posted - Jul 01 2021 : 06:54:10 AM
btw. is it normal that no notification emails are sent when subscribed to a topic these days?
feline Posted - Jun 29 2021 : 09:52:31 AM
I am sure we can work out some marketing speak to sell the change to your code base Optimised for speed of loading and absolute minimum required resources... I am sure we can build on this...

OK, so it seems safe to say this isn't caused by any properties of your solution or project, so this then suggests something in your include files.

Can you try copying the standard set of #include lines from one of your code files into the test file, and see if this triggers the problem? Hopefully we can ignore all of the standard system headers, but best to just copy all of the #include lines at first.

Assuming the header files trigger this, the command:

VAssistX -> Tools -> List Include Files

may help you in pinning down which header file, or files, hold the trigger.
MrJones4u Posted - Jun 29 2021 : 06:51:14 AM
Your standalone file works well, not sure if I can still sell our product once I have deleted all other files, but at least VAX thinks it would be a good idea... :-)
feline Posted - Jun 29 2021 : 06:31:36 AM
I REALLY did not expect that result.

I am guessing that a common include is a trigger. So, to test this theory, could you please add, or just open, a new, empty file in your current solution, and add the following test code:

class FelineFindRefNewFileTest	// #FindReferencesDeclaration
{
private:
	FelineFindRefNewFileTest *m_pSelfCopy;

public:
	FelineFindRefNewFileTest();
	// #CopyConstructor declaration
	FelineFindRefNewFileTest(const FelineFindRefNewFileTest &rhs);
	~FelineFindRefNewFileTest();
	// Assignment:#OperatorOverloading declaration
	FelineFindRefNewFileTest& operator=(const FelineFindRefNewFileTest &rhs);

bool hasSelfCopy() { return nullptr != m_pSelfCopy; }
};

hardly the most complex code, but complex enough to give you a couple of different things to run Find References on.
MrJones4u Posted - Jun 29 2021 : 01:27:35 AM
Find Reference on a local variable declared in a single non member function causes "VA: Creating instance of template std:..." when using find reference in this particular source file the first time. Subsequent Find Reference on the same or different variable in the same source file does not trigger "VA: Creat...". Find Reference in a different source will again trigger "VA: Creat..." and returning to the first file again will again trigger "VA: Creat...".
Find Reference in File will trigger "VA: Creat..." for every new file at least once (I thought I saw it happed twice once but that might have been cosmic rays hitting my brain).
Currently I cannot seem to find any variable or symbol so mundane that it will not trigger a template scan on the first time run on a file.
feline Posted - Jun 28 2021 : 05:35:55 AM
So much for signals being a useful clue.

Lets start small, can you please try Find References on a local variable declared in a single function. Does this work reliably? It should, but without some sense of a pattern as to the problem, we need to start somewhere.

When you run into this problem, after the find stops, either because it finished or you cancelled it, and run the same Find References again, do you get the same problem, or has VA remembered the templates, so it runs normally?

What happens if instead of running Find References on a problem symbol, you run Find References in File instead? Does this make any difference?
MrJones4u Posted - Jun 26 2021 : 06:03:05 AM
I was indeed meaning symbols... just a short circuit in my brain...
feline Posted - Jun 25 2021 : 07:03:27 AM
Thank you for checking. This is actually a bit concerning, this is really not a massive solution where search speed should be a problem. Do you mean something specific by "signals", or just a different word for symbols?

I recall the Qt library used Signals, and Slots, so signals might be a clue, depending on what you mean by it.
MrJones4u Posted - Jun 24 2021 : 08:38:16 AM
The Open file in Solution Dialog shows 2379 of 2379.

There has been no significant increase of files in the solution for years (3 or 4 every month max.)
This is happening on most signals symbols, I would say 4 out of 5 times.

The situation started rather spontaneous a few months ago, and if asked I e.g. would do not associate if with an particular VAX update, but there have been a few VS updates we had to take as we found two compiler bugs...

feline Posted - Jun 24 2021 : 06:40:11 AM
That's not helpful. First, to get a sense of scale, how many files do you have in your solution?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

Are you seeing this problem on most symbols you do a Find References on? Or only some? I would only expect this to show up on a few symbols, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are seeing.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000