Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS2022 Preview 4.0 with VAX causes a hang on start

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
msew Posted - Sep 14 2021 : 6:57:06 PM
VS2022 Preview 4.0 with VAX causes a hang on start up

I am using Unreal Engine 4.27.0

If I do:

0) GenerateProjectFiles.bat

1) then open it in VS2022 with VAX: Build 2021.3 Release date: 2021.07.28

2) Visual Studio will hang with VAX trying to parse all of the files (it seems)

I waited around 90 minutes and it never finished.

I then disabled VAX and restarted VS and loaded the same .sln. And Visual Studio loaded correctly.

In VS2022 Preview 3.1, this did not occur and everything worked great!

So it looks like VS2022 Preview 4.0 broke something in VAX :-(

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
msew Posted - Oct 27 2021 : 2:55:35 PM
Preview 8 says: "Hold my beer".
ttesty Posted - Oct 27 2021 : 1:23:36 PM
Good to hear that Microsoft finally resolved their regression after almost 2 months :)
feline Posted - Oct 27 2021 : 10:29:44 AM
The release notes for VS2022 Preview 7 say this hang has been fixed, and VA is working without any fixes required for me in preview 7.
ttesty Posted - Oct 22 2021 : 9:15:11 PM
Yeah, Nov 8 - https://devblogs.microsoft.com/visualstudio/join-us-november-8th-for-the-launch-of-visual-studio-2022
There's no shortage of cat-and-mouse with Microsoft's VS updates. You were busy validating Preview 5 when Preview 6 arrived :)
It's nice that the workaround is still working and it seems fairly harmless. That gives you more time to update/validate your next VAX release and have the existing VAX release be usable with recent VS releases.
feline Posted - Oct 22 2021 : 06:55:53 AM
November 8th? Is this the expected release date of the release version of VS2022?

Please remember that there may well be "breaking" changes between now and then that we need to fix, so a working VA release on the day of release is far from guaranteed, but obviously we will aim for a working release as quickly as possible.
ttesty Posted - Oct 21 2021 : 11:06:01 AM
Fine in Preview 6 using workaround. Fingers crossed for Nov 8.
ttesty Posted - Oct 13 2021 : 3:27:27 PM
Yeah, works fine in both RC and in Preview 5 when I apply the PerfWatson2.exe workaround. My preference is the registry key change, in case one forgets to rename that file back and causes a future installation to abort.

REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSCommon\17.0\SQM /v OptIn /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Separate item: I'm surprised that RC didn't offer a 'merge settings' option for Preview 5 settings, even thought they're treated like separate SKU's. Preview version had the VAX extension and settings carry over.
feline Posted - Oct 13 2021 : 08:46:38 AM
Thank you for the update, I have just been checking and seeing the same results here, so I am glad to see you get the same results.

We believe we have a fix internally, tested on Preview 4, but obviously we need to check for any more fun surprises with Preview 5.
tony.riviere Posted - Oct 13 2021 : 07:46:27 AM
Hello. The bug is still present with VS 2022 preview 5. Renaming PerfWatson2.exe workaround still works.
ttesty Posted - Sep 22 2021 : 11:49:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ttesty

quote:
Originally posted by feline

That is a simpler solution. Looking online, I am reading that there was a setting in VS2019 to disable "PerfWatson2.exe", but the setting location does not seem to exist in VS2022 preview, so I am not sure how "stable" this solution will be going forward.

Either way, we will try and find a fix inside VA so this doesn't have to be disabled to work with the IDE, but work arounds are good

Microsoft should hopefully deliver a proper fix on their end for the PerfWatson2.exe matter. The suggested workaround is very effective for now, but you have to be mindful of all the implications and should likely revert before your next VS upgrade. This will be interesting to watch.

An alternative (likely safer approach - this also disables PerfWatson2.exe):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VSCommon\17.0\SQM
OptIn => 0x0 (DWORD)

REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSCommon\17.0\SQM /v OptIn /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
ttesty Posted - Sep 22 2021 : 1:34:10 PM
quote:

That is a simpler solution. Looking online, I am reading that there was a setting in VS2019 to disable "PerfWatson2.exe", but the setting location does not seem to exist in VS2022 preview, so I am not sure how "stable" this solution will be going forward.

Either way, we will try and find a fix inside VA so this doesn't have to be disabled to work with the IDE, but work arounds are good

Microsoft should hopefully deliver a proper fix on their end for the PerfWatson2.exe matter. The suggested workaround is very effective for now, but you have to be mindful of all the implications and should likely revert before your next VS upgrade. This will be interesting to watch.
feline Posted - Sep 22 2021 : 11:08:06 AM

ttesty Posted - Sep 22 2021 : 09:29:29 AM
quote:

Interesting, thank you, I am seeing the same result here. I have had to use the AskAdmin program to test this for now, since I don't yet know what registry edit you are supposed to use to achieve the same result.

I have added this to the bug report. We are currently working on a full fix for this problem, and will hopefully have something soon.

quote:

Interesting, thank you, I am seeing the same result here. I have had to use the AskAdmin program to test this for now, since I don't yet know what registry edit you are supposed to use to achieve the same result.

I have added this to the bug report. We are currently working on a full fix for this problem, and will hopefully have something soon.

You can alternatively rename: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Preview\Common7\IDE\PerfWatson2.exe to another filename and try. It should work fine - just another way to do the same trick. I replied to you directly by e-mail.
feline Posted - Sep 22 2021 : 07:56:32 AM

ttesty Posted - Sep 21 2021 : 10:26:22 PM
There's a handy tool (AskAdmin) to block executables (like above): https://www.sordum.org/7941/askadmin-v1-8 and there are other utilities as well if you don't want to hit the registry manually.
ttesty Posted - Sep 21 2021 : 10:01:45 PM
I have a fix/workaround: block PerfWatson2.exe in your app locker/SRS. Then VAX is completely usable in VS 2022 Preview 4.1.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Preview\Common7\IDE\PerfWatson2.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers etc..
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers etc..
Bidonjour Posted - Sep 17 2021 : 04:48:15 AM
Thanks !
feline Posted - Sep 16 2021 : 11:17:53 AM
For reference, the bug report is:

case=146206

No updates just at the moment, but we are working on this.
Bidonjour Posted - Sep 15 2021 : 08:58:51 AM
Same issue here, can't use Visual Studio 2022 Preview 4 with VAX.
ChrisG Posted - Sep 14 2021 : 8:30:20 PM
We are seeing the issue here and are looking into it. I apologize for the down time.

Thank you for taking the time to report the problem.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000