Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Reparsing and UE4 Game Sync

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jamesil Posted - Sep 02 2021 : 04:18:36 AM
Wondering if anyone has any good solutions for stopping VAX doing a full engine source reparse every time you boot from UE4/5 GameSync?

Long story short, every time I use Epic's GameSync to sync a CL on a UE4 project Repro, then load up VS (2019 Professional, Version 16.8.3), VAX (10.9.2393.0) full re-parses the entire engine directory, even though nothing has changed.

"Parse all files when opening a project" is enabled.
"Watch for externally modified files and reparse when necessary" is enabled.
Solution is on D drive.

Assuming it might be triggered because Epic's GameSync re-generates project files when you sync; but don't know for sure.

Any suggestions?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ChrisG Posted - Dec 07 2021 : 10:47:59 PM
> When you open a .sln in VS it does the mega parse.
VA does do that the first time you open a solution but should only have to load from our database on subsequent opens.

> Wondering if anyone has any good solutions for stopping VAX doing a full engine source reparse every time you boot from UE4/5 GameSync?
It sounds like GameSync uses Perforce under the hood. What are your Perforce workspace options (i.e., do you have modtime enabled etc.)? It may handle all that for you though.

Also, do you see your Unreal Engine build listed in the registry under one of the following keys?

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EpicGames\Unreal Engine
(will have a subkey for each build listed)

or

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Epic Games\Unreal Engine\Builds
(will have values for each build listed)
feline Posted - Sep 21 2021 : 1:01:28 PM
I have just tried the following, to make a better test.

First close all instances of Visual Studio.
Now use notepad to edit 4 code files in the game solution, and 3 code files inside Unreal Engine its self. I just added blank lines, so the files have the same content, but have changed on the hard drive.
Then I ran the:

C:\src_github\UnrealEngine\GenerateProjectFiles.bat -progress

command and let it finish.

Now reloaded Visual Studio, still no sign of VA needing to parse everything.

So I am not sure what the exact trigger is here.
msew Posted - Sep 20 2021 : 5:52:51 PM
>This reported lots of progress lines, but after this had finished and I reloaded the solution in Visual Studio, VA didn't do any parsing at all.

His orig repro was that he relaunched visual studio. Or quit, UGS sync'd, then launched VS again.

feline Posted - Sep 20 2021 : 12:39:22 PM
So far, no sign of any effect. I have an Unreal Engine game solution that uses the github source code version of Unreal Engine. The game solution its self lives in the directory:

C:\Users\feline\Documents\Unreal Projects\gitPuzzle
I opened a Windows Command Prompt window in this directory, and then ran the command:

C:\src_github\UnrealEngine\GenerateProjectFiles.bat -progress

This reported lots of progress lines, but after this had finished and I reloaded the solution in Visual Studio, VA didn't do any parsing at all.

Unreal Engine is installed to the:

C:\src_github\UnrealEngine
directory, so I have the file:

C:\src_github\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Classes\GameFramework\Actor.h

I made a backup of the game project before doing this "GenerateProjectFiles.bat -progress" command, and did a compare, and there are no differences reported.

Am I running a reasonable test here for this problem? Or am I testing the wrong thing?
feline Posted - Sep 20 2021 : 09:37:28 AM
Looking into this now.

But I have already noticed one oddity. I only have this batch file for github versions of Unreal Engine, there is no sign of this batch file, or even one with a similar name, for versions of UE installed via the Epic Games launcher.
msew Posted - Sep 16 2021 : 5:29:36 PM
when you UGS sync at the end it will do:

Generating project files...
gpf> Running C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /C ""<path>\GenerateProjectFiles.bat" -progress"
feline Posted - Sep 16 2021 : 09:57:04 AM
As a first step, what do you have:

VA Options -> Unreal Engine -> Index plugins (requires restart)

set to? Setting this to None, or perhaps Referenced should help to reduce the reparse time quite a bit.

Is this the GameSync you are talking about:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/4.27/en-US/ProductionPipelines/DeployingTheEngine/UnrealGameSync/

I have never heard of it before, but it sounds likely to be the tool. When you use this, are you able to check to see if your game SLN and VCXPROJ files are being updated? What about the Unreal Engine VCXPROJ file? I am wondering what exactly is triggering VA to do the reparse.
msew Posted - Sep 15 2021 : 7:23:28 PM
>Long story short, every time I use Epic's GameSync to sync a CL on a UE4 project Repro, then load up VS (2019 Professional, Version 16.8.3), VAX (10.9.2393.0) full re-parses the entire engine directory, even though nothing has changed.

When you open a .sln in VS it does the mega parse.

You should be able to keep VS open and then UGS sync. And then VS will ask: "hey do you want to reload?"

and that should not end up doing the full / long parse.

Also, make certain your Unreal Engine Dir is on an SSD.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000