Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Closing parenthesis character gets deleted VS 2022

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Biohazard Posted - Feb 01 2022 : 1:00:30 PM
Hi,

for years I have the issue that VA seems to swallow my closing parenthesis key when I'm tying inside a function call or statement next to an existing closing parenthesis.

I only use VA for the "open file in solution" menu and the top navigation bar, I'm fine with turning everything else off/have mostly turned everything else off that I could find. Still, it seems to be affecting my input.

For example let's take this code:

vector<glm::mat4> endEffectors;
endEffectors.resize(ikSet.localBoneToEndEffectorIndices);

and move the cursor right after localBoneToEndEffectorIndices. Now when I try to type .size() it completely ignores my closing parenthesis key so the resulting code is missing the closing parenthesis and looks like this:

endEffectors.resize(ikSet.localBoneToEndEffectorIndices.size();

while it should look like this:

endEffectors.resize(ikSet.localBoneToEndEffectorIndices.size());

Note that the cursor jumps over the existing closing parenthesis at the moment I press the last key. Either it moves the cursor, or it deletes the existing parenthesis and inserts a new one, I hope that makes sense.

As soon as I turn VA off this issue stops occurring. I don't have any other plugins installed and this is a pretty clean installation of VS since I just switched to 2022. I use VA 2443, currently the latest release. Like I mentioned, this issue is not new and has been happening on older VS and VA versions as well.

Can you please tell me how I should configure VA so it completely stops affecting my input?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Feb 03 2022 : 05:41:43 AM
Excellent news, thank you for the update. Without the clear bug report and settings that would have been really rather hard to figure out and pin down, so I am glad this works for you as well, since I was concerned that there might be another factor at work that we needed to find and consider.
Biohazard Posted - Feb 02 2022 : 2:53:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Can you please try the following, and see if it fixes the problem for you:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Suggestion and Completion lists
* Enable in C++ = ON
* Enable in C# = OFF
* Include VA Snippets = ON

keeping:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Enable Suggestion Lists = OFF

does not matter. And you can also disable all of the "Enhanced Listboxes" settings, while making sure that:

VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Source of C/C++ content: Default Intellisense

is set. This should not visibly change how VA behaves for you, and for me, this fixes the problem. I am just double checking the setting combination in different IDE's, to see if this is IDE specific or not.

Thank you, I've applied these settings and I can confirm this resolved it for me as well!
feline Posted - Feb 02 2022 : 1:36:04 PM
VS2022 specific, as far as I can tell, which helps to limit the scope, but still, not a good bug:

case=147780
feline Posted - Feb 02 2022 : 12:49:15 PM
Can you please try the following, and see if it fixes the problem for you:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Suggestion and Completion lists
* Enable in C++ = ON
* Enable in C# = OFF
* Include VA Snippets = ON

keeping:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Enable Suggestion Lists = OFF

does not matter. And you can also disable all of the "Enhanced Listboxes" settings, while making sure that:

VA Options -> Enhanced Listboxes -> Source of C/C++ content: Default Intellisense

is set. This should not visibly change how VA behaves for you, and for me, this fixes the problem. I am just double checking the setting combination in different IDE's, to see if this is IDE specific or not.
feline Posted - Feb 02 2022 : 11:21:26 AM
I have the settings files, many thanks for these:

case=147778

I am able to reproduce the problem here, with your settings. This is really bizarre. Now I just need to figure out what combination of settings is triggering this bug, to stop it happening for you, and to get a bug report so we can see about fixing this!
Biohazard Posted - Feb 02 2022 : 10:31:56 AM
Thank you for your quick reply.

I have the option VA Options -> Editor -> Insert () and closing } ) ] ' " disabled. I tried toggling it on and off again, testing in both states, but this didn't seem to affect the behavior.

I tried creating a new "empty" project, adding a single .cpp file and using your exemplary code and the issue remains. Only one file was open in this new solution and none pinned.

However, I have found another clue: the issue only seems to appear if I don't use auto completion and type .size() character by character. If I press enter to use auto completion, then type (), the issue does not occur.

I have sent both exported settings files via e-mail.
feline Posted - Feb 02 2022 : 07:40:32 AM
As a simple start test, I have the code:

void testDoubleRoundBrackets()
{
	std::vector<std::string> vecNames;
	vecNames.resize(vecNames);
}

and I am placing the caret into the "resize" call, and typing, to get:

vecNames.resize(vecNames.size());

and there is no problem inserting the closing round bracket for me.

Do you have:

VA Options -> Editor -> Insert () and closing } ) ] ' "

On or Off? I have tested this with this both On and Off, and so far no sign of the problem.

This sounds similar to a problem we had in earlier versions of the IDE, where some characters can be sent to the wrong file. But that was an IDE bug, some versions ago. If you make sure you only have a couple of other files open, and not modified, are any other files suddenly shown as modified when you try typing the ) character?

Is this a file specific problem, or does it happen everywhere?

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem. Please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000