Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Installation issues

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
komkommer Posted - Jul 19 2021 : 2:14:57 PM
quote:
7/19/2021 7:00:47 PM - Microsoft VSIX Installer
7/19/2021 7:00:47 PM - -------------------------------------------
7/19/2021 7:00:47 PM - vsixinstaller.exe version:
7/19/2021 7:00:47 PM - 16.11.9
7/19/2021 7:00:47 PM - Command line parameters:
7/19/2021 7:00:47 PM - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\ServiceHub\Services\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Setup.Service\VSIXInstaller.exe,/appidinstallpath:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe,/appidname:Visual Studio,/skuName:Community,/skuVersion:16.10.31424.327,/logFile:vsix-va-20210719190046.log,C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Temp\VaXSetup.vsix
7/19/2021 7:00:47 PM - Microsoft VSIX Installer
7/19/2021 7:00:47 PM - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VSIXInstaller.SetupExtensions.GetLaunchableInstances(IQuery query)
at VSIXInstaller.SupportedSKUs.EnumerateIsolatedInstalls(Action`1 callback)
at VSIXInstaller.SupportedSKUs.AddInstalledLocationBasedSKUs(IntPtr userToken)
at VSIXInstaller.SupportedSKUs.InitializeSupportedSKUs(IntPtr userToken)
at VSIXInstaller.ExtensionService.InitializeSupportedSKUs(ICommandLineData cmdLineData, IntPtr duplicatedUserToken)
at VSIXInstaller.App.Initialize(Boolean isRepairSupported)
at VSIXInstaller.App.Initialize()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Telemetry.WindowsErrorReporting.WatsonReport.GetClrWatsonExceptionInfo(Exception exceptionObject)

Hi,
I can't install VA for visual studio 2019, I tried both the installer and via the extensions menu. I have restarted my computer twice. I tried 2 older version of VA, but got the same error in the logs. Any suggestions?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jul 21 2021 : 04:30:47 AM
Just to double check I understand correctly, you have loaded the IDE test profile, and you get the same error when trying to install VA from the online extension store, via the:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

dialog? That is really quite unexpected.

Which programming language components have you installed as part of the IDE install?
komkommer Posted - Jul 20 2021 : 12:25:43 PM
Thanks for the response,

unfortunately after the steps it still gave me the same error.

I don't have other extensions, I installed visual studio earlier that day.
feline Posted - Jul 20 2021 : 07:18:46 AM
Do you have any other extensions installed? I have just been dealing with another user who had a very similar problem, and for them it was caused by another extension, "Local History" in their case.

Assuming you don't have any other extensions installed, it could be a problem with your default profile. To test this can you please close all instances of the IDE and then run the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

this will create and load a new, default profile for Visual Studio, so you will be asked which basic settings you want to use, and you should only have the standard, default IDE extensions installed. Visual Assist will not be installed into this profile, so you will need to go into the dialog:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

and install Visual Assist from the online extension store, to install VA for this test profile.

To load your normal, default profile just load the IDE normally. To return to this test profile again, pass the /RootSuffix command line switch when loading the IDE. You can run both profiles at the same time, next to each other. In VS2019 the profile name will be shown just under the close button, in the top right hand corner of the main IDE window. If you export your IDE settings from your main profile you can them import them into the test profile.

Does VA install correctly into this test profile for you, or do you get the same problem?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000