Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Find Symbol filtering

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kornman00 Posted - Mar 02 2023 : 2:49:38 PM
I have a few suggestions for improving the use of "Find Symbol"

First, results for unnamed enums end up with two entries. It would be better to filter out the unnamed enum entry.

This is further an annoyance when the unnamed enum's hash code is used in symbol filtering, like when I was searching for "5_1" here. It would be better to not include unnamed enums in results.

I imagine that unnamed structs and unions are in a similar boat.

Finally, see the results here for "Show only symbols defined in current solution". Boost is an external library. It would be great if there was an additional checkbox to filter out external symbols.

Like how VS allows you to control external dependencies in the solution explorer

Thank you!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kornman00 Posted - Feb 22 2024 : 5:56:52 PM
No problem, thanks for checking/commenting :)
feline Posted - Feb 22 2024 : 11:41:50 AM
Case 149239 is still in our list of things to fix, but it has to compete with quite a few other bug reports and feature requests. It hasn't been forgotten, but unfortunately I don't currently have an estimate for when this will be looked at.
kornman00 Posted - Feb 21 2024 : 5:33:11 PM
Circling back to this thread, after coming to post about something else unrelated-

Is case=149239 in the backlog right now?

For the other problem, I never got around to making a min repro, too many other things came up at work at the time. I also ended up removing all dependencies on boost, so the problem became less in my face.
feline Posted - Mar 08 2023 : 07:47:36 AM
I can run tests here to see if I can reproduce this if you can point me in the right direction, if that helps.
kornman00 Posted - Mar 07 2023 : 11:20:15 PM
Thanks, this week I'll see if I can put together a min repro or pull together enough vcxproj/props files from the solution to be of use to you in investigating this issue
feline Posted - Mar 06 2023 : 08:08:38 AM
We are considering adding a persistent filter option to the Find Symbol dialog, the same ideas as the filter option in the Open File in Solution dialog, which would help with both issues:

case=117878
feline Posted - Mar 06 2023 : 08:06:31 AM
Would you be able to send me a small, sample solution that shows how you have put your solution together?

using VS2022 and VA 2476.0 I have taken a simple C++ console solution and set:

Project properties -> C/C++ -> General -> Additional Include Directories = C:\boost\boost_1_81_0

and restarted the IDE to make sure that VA has picked up the new setting. In my Find Symbol dialog a load of Boost symbols are shown, but only if I set:

Find Symbol dialog -> Show only symbols defined in current solution = OFF

while your screen shot clearly shows that this is turned On for you. So I am not sure why we are seeing different behaviour here.

If you can send me a simple solution, empty is completely fine since I am only interested in the solution and project settings, not your source code, please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
kornman00 Posted - Mar 03 2023 : 1:26:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

For the boost entries, how, exactly, have you told your solution that you are using the Boost library? Have you actually added the boost library to your solution? I am using Boost 1.81 here, and the boost symbols are not showing up in my Find Symbols dialog.

I have told the IDE that I am using Boost via the setting:

Project properties -> VC++ Directories -> Include Directories

so I am assuming you are doing something different.

Ah, yes, for our project we're using
AdditionalIncludeDirectories
to include boost where allowed (e.g. when 'tools' are enabled, but not when targeting non-tools configurations - this is a game engine which targets multiple configs and platforms). When I have External Dependencies enabled, boost files show up under it.

We don't touch
VC_IncludePath
(as it is referred to in msbuild), as it doesn't make sense to all platforms. In addition, when using ClangCL instead of v143 (VS2022 MSVC), we have to manually specify non-project include paths using clang-cl.exe's
-imsvc
parameter via msbuild's
ClangClAdditionalOptions
, as I have not been able to find any other way to coerce clang-cl.exe (testing using latest llvm 15.x and the unofficial llvm-msbuild branch) to interpret headers as external (e.g. it doesn't respect or acknowledge /external:env, etc), which impacts usages of Clang-Tidy or otherwise disabling warnings in 'system' headers.

Speaking of Clang-Tidy...if VAX's under-the-hood usage of clang were to include google-runtime-int fix ups, I would...be at a loss for words to express my happiness
feline Posted - Mar 03 2023 : 11:32:42 AM
The duplicate entries for anonymous enum items is clearly not helping, I have put in a bug report for that:

case=149239

For the boost entries, how, exactly, have you told your solution that you are using the Boost library? Have you actually added the boost library to your solution? I am using Boost 1.81 here, and the boost symbols are not showing up in my Find Symbols dialog.

I have told the IDE that I am using Boost via the setting:

Project properties -> VC++ Directories -> Include Directories

so I am assuming you are doing something different.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000